How Soon After Onset Is Best to See ENT?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Polaris, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Polaris

Polaris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have been experiencing increasing tinnitus of unknown cause for 2 weeks now.

In the UK ENT appointments take months to come through, I was referred last week.

I heard sometimes steroids are crucial in the first few weeks. Is this true?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you have an acoustic trauma, steroids are most likely to help if administered within the first 48 hours.

To treat T that is a result of sudden deafness, the window is 2-4 weeks. (This does not mean that it is as effective during week 4 as it is during week 1.)
      http://www.masseyeandear.org/for-pa...ation/diseases-and-conditions/sudden-deafness

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Polaris

Polaris Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks Bill, you're a great help. Although I have hearing loss (or perception of) I definitely don't have deafness, so this probably isn't applicable to me!

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I believe (keep in mind, I don't have any medical background; this is all based on what I learned by reading the posts made here over the past half a year) that this refers to any sudden deterioration of hearing (including deterioration that standard audiologist tests don't pick up - the ability to hear things like quiet voices when the listener is located in a loud environment).

5. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      It does not need to be sudden deafness, oral steroids are recommended as soon as possible for any sudden hearing loss from acoustic trauma, a virus, etc.

In addition to oral steroids, intratympanic steroid injections can also be beneficial in some cases.

I have hearing loss, too. I did not realize the full severity of it until my hearing was tested. Is there anyway you can see an ENT sooner? Not to frighten you, but sooner rather than later is best if you have any possible hearing loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You could go to the emergency, and show them a printout of the information provided at that sudden deafness link while asking to see an ENT. It says there that sudden hearing loss is a medical emergency... When I did that, I got a one week supply of prednisone (and a referral to see an ENT in a week).