How to Benzo Safely

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cal18, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      Looking for some suggestions here and this might also be useful for others.

My original mild tinnitus was caused by antidepressants so I'm VERY sensitive. I believe my more recent severe condition might have come on from benzos I was taking on and off. I was on a pretty low dose for about 2 weeks. Then I stopped abruptly and got this 2 weeks later. Now, I had to go back on them (not sure if this is harming me further even though I'm trying to be very consistent with my dosing).

I don't feel any better and I feel like I might be getting worse. I thought benzos only really caused problems once you get off then, not tinnitis while on them - please correct me if I'm wrong.

My current dose is:

1/4 of .5 mg - 3x per day (7am, 3pm, 8pm)
      This is barely one whole pill. But as I mentioned I am very sensitive. Would this dosing cause any withdrawal effects in regards to the gaps in between pills? Sometimes, I start to feel anxious between doses and worry that I'm getting some ongoing glutamate flooding. My condition has not been stabilizing and is changing every day.

Are my doses okay? Is there someone that might have more experience with this? Thanks!

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Hey! :)

It would be a good idea to mention the exact benzo you are taking; as you know, there are multiple different benzos out there.

There are several benzos that have 0.5 mg pills, at least Xanax (Alprazolam) and Klonopin (Clonazepam), and these are totally different beasts, the former is fast-acting with a short half life, while the latter has a much longer half life.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      @Markku Sorry, forgot to mention, it's Clonazepam. A couple months ago I was taking Diazepam on and off.
      I'm hoping that if I keep a tight schedule with taking them things won't go haywire. However, I know they are addictive and the dose will eventually demand an increase - I'm worried that when this happens I might dip into a "withdrawal" if I keep the same dose without increasing. This is where I need some advice.