How to Cope? — Loud Tinnitus & Not Sure How Much More I Can Take

Discussion in 'Support' started by PeteJ, Mar 1, 2019.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I still find it difficult to sleep. My ears also don't feel 'normal.' My right ear has a dull pain.

I don't know if any hearing protection will 'work' if my ears are this fragile. So' how do I get 'through this' when I am like this? :(

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Marcus Skye
      Surfing

Marcus Skye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meloxicam, Noise Exposure,
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure and excessive ear irrigation
      Are you in Toronto as well?

I waited around 1 month and a half before I got to see the ENT but that was a waste of my time anyway other that the fact that he asked me to do an MRI which proved that I have no serious issue other than my tinnitus. He told me the same old story/script all ENT doctors tell their patients that tinnitus is not cure-able and stuff.

Lenire is coming soon so at least try to see if you can benefit from it when it is released.

A lot of people have given up hope, I know. But for me, what I am trying to say or get across it, everyone deserves to give their life a chance before thinking about ending it all. Do not give up hope easily. I have been there and I have survived and is feeling better today. I think you can too!

4. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Do you feel like your ears have lost the usual kind of "filter" you used to have before tinnitus? Do you feel pain when you hear certain frequencies? I think that's Hyperacusis and I have it too. Trust me, that will go away slowly. My ears didn't feel normal for around a year or so but eventually it will get better. Make sure you don't over-expose your ears with any extra stress and protect your ears if necessary to make them heal faster.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I don't know. I have pain in my right ear that remains for a while. I think it went away but returned. I don't know what it's from. I can only imagine it's some hyperacusis thing or dental/jaw related? Either reason is bad. :(

How do I protect my ears when I have pain? I decided to order these light muffs and earplugs but I doubt either will help in avoiding pain. If either or both are no good, I am running out of options.

People tell me it will get better but I have loud, piercing tinnitus, unexplainable ear pain and hearing protection so far causes discomfort and/or pain.

How will I go from this to feeling better? :(

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      No, not in Toronto.

7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Ditto.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Did anyone read the latest info on Lenire? It doesn't sound promising for severe sufferers. Maybe a reduction - if you are lucky? :(

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I need to kill myself!

I hate this! It's too loud and none of the treatments will do anything and I don't want to wait in torture.

Somehow, something went wrong and now it's loud and piercing. I need peace.

I just need a method where I am not crippled or brain damaged. :(

10. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Would you accept a reduction in volume? If yes, Lenire can potentially help you. Even though nobody knows for sure I have faith that it can help!

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      People here say to avoid loud noises? If they are 80db? More?

But, you are not supposed to overprotect either?!? I don't know what I am doing and it's noisy around here! I already explained what ear plugs I have worn and now most of the time I don't but carry around muffs.

My life sucks. I think I should just plan my suicide and then I don't have to suffer anymore. :(

12. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      As far as I can tell, Pete, one of your biggest problems is your newfound unhealthy obsession with sound and protection. You are keeping yourself in a heightened state of anxiety. You need to find ways to calm yourself down and to stop focusing all your attention on how loud everything is. Unless you’re going to a loud party, nightclub, gig, or are using power tools for an extended period of time, etc, then nothing else is worth worrying or thinking about.

You shouldn’t have to pre-plan your day based on what ear defence you need. In my opinion, this makes tinnitus worse as it conditions the brain to micro-analyse every environmental detail when it really isn’t necessary. All this does is create an atmosphere for phonophobia to thrive and in turn, this can, and will, heighten your perception of your tinnitus.

Focus on other hobbies and activities instead and do things that interest you and require all of your attention. If you continue your obsession nothing will change, and this is why so many people are telling you that CBT or some other form of therapy may help you and is worth pursuing.

However, I don’t think you read or pay attention to any of the responses you receive.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    13. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      It's good for the people who talk that they do not have to worry about the noises of everyday life. It is a sign that this person is very well. At least, hyperacusis this person does not have!

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Who, Ed above?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I would do better if the tinnitus would lower.

I just don't want to go on with it at this volume level and noise I hear. :(

16. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      The big problem is the tinnitus volume, those who have a mild tinnitus are very different from those who have severe tinnitus, which is much more difficult to deal with.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. winstona
      Balanced

winstona Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pete, the volume for me has reduced bit by bit over the last 1.5 years so you know there’s someone in this world with similar tinnitus that has a reduction in volume. It is possible over time.

Like I said, Lenire may be able to help us. Although I don’t want to put all my hopes on it, at the very least, there’s hope that more research on tinnitus is coming.

• Like Like x 1
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I bought foam plugs and I can't even insert them. It's like my ears changed.

:(

The muffs I got are lighter but non-adjustable. Kinda tight. I am screwed. :(

19. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      PeteJ, you should not use the hearing protector for too long because it lowers the audibility threshold, and may make the situation worse. A good protector is those blues for swimming, 3M. You should only use them when you think a noise will harm you. It is best to avoid these noises and not have to wear something in your ears.

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      No, I don't think you understand me? I can't even wear them for seconds or minutes. :(

Avoid these noises? I live downtown and there are trucks, trains and sirens at any given time.

I also thought I should have some kind of hearing protection handy just in case or if I have to go in stores which could have loud noise?

But, my ears are so messed up, I can't even do that. This is not about over protecting or fearing loud noise. This is about an ears condition which doesn't even allow me the option. :( ->
      Unless I sacrifice discomfort and pain... :( I don't want that either. :(

21. Tamara

Tamara Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Pete, I understand you. I've had tinnitus and hyperacusis since 2013 due to acoustic trauma. I know very well how it is. Do you think you had acoustic trauma or are you sure? The behavior of tinnitus has everything to do with its cause. You have been tinnitus for a short time, and as we see, several people have improved and only time will show this.

22. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'm a teacher, and between the bells, the hallways, and the kids it can be pretty loud. Someone suggested musicians earplugs the other day on this forum. I ordered a pair, and wore one in my tinnitus ear today. Usually when my tinnitus is loud the noise spikes my tinnitus. Today was the first day it didn't spike. I wish I had been wearing it for the last year. If you protect your ears it will have a better chance of fading. The musician's plugs let in natural sound, but block anything loud.

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Which kind did you get?

Can you wear them in the car?

24. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Avantek high fidelity. I ordered them from Amazon. I drove with them today. They really cut down on the sound of the bells at school which was my biggest problem. It's strange to wear them at first, but I'll get used to it. I got to try everything to reduce the volume.

25. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      So many musician's ear plugs out there.

Two that were suggested to me, available on Amazon Canada's site are $50. Is that typical?

26. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I paid $15.99. I received 3 sizes too, and a little carrying case to put them in.

27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Wow. USA vs Canada right there. :(

The Avantek and another high fidelity plugs are $50 here.

28. KMc24

KMc24 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Wow! It's worth it though. You have to give your ears a break so they can heal. I have hyperacusis as well and like I said the plugs really cut down on that today.

29. dellwas

dellwas Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussion or ETD
      I just got Vibes for $37 Cdn., and Alpine Hearing Race for $35 through Amazon Canada. I'm in Nova Scoita.

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      My ears are making noises here and there. The t noise is loud and piercing.

I feel angry at times. I am supposed to go to two places and considering cancelling.

My apartment is at 30 degrees and they still won't turn on the A/C.

I feel like I am an extreme case and I apologize if that offends anyone here but I tried to insert foam plugs for a backup but I just couldn't get them in properly. That's really odd.

My ears don't feel normal and I don't know if they are healing or what.

I hate life. I hate being like this and every day is the same. It is a chore to do anything and it's so difficult to do something that is supposed to be normal like sleeping. It can be worse with ear pain, h and ear noises.

Doctors don't know anything and people are oblivious to what you are going through because there is nothing visual to see. Even if you try to explain even a fraction of it, they don't seem to care or emphasize. It not imaginable ot relateable to them at all. 'Just suffer on our own and this is not living. :(

What musicians plugs should I get again? :( 99% chance they will be no good meaning discomfort or not fitting because my ears just seem like they are abnormal. :(