How to Habituate After 4 Years

Discussion in 'Support' started by Lyrica, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Lyrica

Lyrica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2012
      I have severe pulsating "neurological" fluctuating tinnitus since four years, after suffering from mild noise-induced hearing loss. In the first two years it made me very depressed because the acoustic trauma was not my fault and I hated the world for doing this to me.

Also I hated the doctor whom I visited the next day because she said there was nothing that could be done about it. I have learned now that there are ways to prevent tinnitus from developing after an acoustic trauma. For example steroid, oxygen or NMDA antagonist therapy. But now it is way too late for that...

Lately I am putting a lot of effort in trying to habituate my tinnitus.

I managed to break the thoughts of severe depression but the tinnitus still breaks my concentration and my ability to sleep.

I find it hard to read or listen to a conversation because the sound in my auditory cortex draws most my attention.

The strange thing is, I have multiple tinnitus sounds in both of my ears, probably from peripheral origin. But only the noise-induced tinnitus in my left ear is capable of giving me insomnia, depression and a bad concentration.

How can I learn my brain to stop paying so much attention to the noise? Are there medications that speed up the proces of habituation? (anti-depressants for example)

2. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      That's the million dollar question, I suppose.
      If anyone has the answer, please share.

ADs...
      They don't manage the problem (the sound), they manage some residual, secondary issues (melancholy, anxiety).
      As such, there is a chance that you speed up habituation but you end up with another tinnitus tone.
      I'm not aware of any other class of drugs that could potentially be used in our case. Maybe mood-stabilizers but they're basically the same story with ADs.

Alternatively, you might consider the the psychological self-slapping Back to Silence method.
      But do it right. Place a rubber band on your wrist and every time you think of T pull it back and let the hurting begin. Masochism against t.

3. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Best natural AD replacement = sports, every day