How Urgent Is It to Get This Looked at by a Doctor?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jellysandwich, Jan 9, 2018.

1. jellysandwich

jellysandwich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Used debrox on left ear
      Background -

Two nights ago I tried out Debrox in my left ear. After using it, I started getting the ringing. Freaked out, did a bunch of google searches.

So the first thing I did the next day was go to urgent care - the doctor looked and said there was too much wax and used one of those water pumps (+hydrogen peroxide) to push all of the wax out. She said it may be irritated and may take a few days to get better.

And things seemed better, less ringing and manageable throughout the day. But now that I'm trying to sleep though, it's absolutely terrible and I'm freaking out.

Here's the big problem: I'm supposed to leave and go on a 10 day vacation starting tomorrow (flight is midnight EST, which is ~21 hours from now). So my question: is it ok if I still go on this trip and deal with the T when I get back, or should I cancel the 10 day trip so that I can go to the doctor and get a proper examination ASAP?

My priority is my health, not the trip.

2. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      mild head trauma (muscle tension)
      When it's from loud noise exposure they highly recommend to treat it asap. But if i can make it up correctly yours is from too much ear wax? So i guess its already taken care of if that's the case. It can take a while before it settles down. But if you dont notice improvement in de next weeks, i would go in gor further examination.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jellysandwich

jellysandwich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Used debrox on left ear
      Yes I believe it's from the earwax, as it started happening right after I used the debrox. Also I don't do concerts or bars or clubs or anything like that - just a lot of music in headphones at maybe 75% volume on the train and 40-50% at work

4. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well i think it's reasonable to let your ears rest for a while away from loud headphones. Also try not to listen to headphones for extended periods. Time of sound exposure contributes to potential hearing loss as much as volume. Even better is to quit headphones gor a while untill the tinnitus setles. Better safe than sorry. Hopefully it will pas

Good luck!

5. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Also don't use q tips to clean your ears if wax is a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jellysandwich

jellysandwich Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Used debrox on left ear
      Yep lesson learned. Also gonna cut out headphones completely as well.

Thanks for the help!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Lebber
      Scared

Lebber Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

No problem ;) i really hope your t will dissapear soon.