Huge Tinnitus Spike, Altered Hearing... Sound of Own My Voice Is Harder to Hear

Discussion in 'Support' started by S Matthews, Nov 1, 2018.

1. S Matthews

S Matthews Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone. Thank you for adding me... I could use some advice.

About two plus weeks ago, I suffered powerful acoustic trauma by wearing tight ear plugs while being asked to project and sing repeatedly loudly for about 30 minutes in a very loud environment... with loud harsh soprano voices near my ear. Frankly, the pressure internally was too intense I think. Left inner ear’s tinnitus went crazy... extremely high pitch..and hearing seemed muffled. Intense feeling of fullness...which continues when trying to do my job, teaching everyday. My own voice is harder to hear.

Went to urgent care day 3 and was prescribed (at my request) a 6 day course of methylprednisolone 4mmg each dose pack (6,5,4,3,2,1). Did not take it due to concerns about side effects....and hope new intense tinnitus and weird loss would resolve on their own.

Tinnitus on the left side has not decreased at all... and remains extremely loud... extremely high pitched deep in that inner ear..like the nerves are hurt and screaming for something. Feels very much like the left cochlear took a beating..and can’t right itself. Pressure remains.

Hyperacusis and worst of all intense recruitment plague me now... and I do a minimum of teaching and then rush home to be alone.

It’s now day 17. Take the steroids? Is the dose strong enough? Feeling like a bit of a no win... if I don’t take them... regret... if I do... are these enough and will it make me ill?? Not a young chick after all.

Thank you!

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Ears take forever to heal. Forever as in months or even years. There is still a chance that this spike will begin fading in a couple of months, and that you will be back to your baseline a year or two from now.

You will want to give your ears a chance to heal. Try to avoid all of the noises that don't feel good to you...

3. Rod McDonald

Rod McDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/6/2012
      A s a teacher I feel your pain. I am looking at a career transition. Have you thought about how stressful your job is? How's your mood at work?