Hyaluronan (Hyaluronic Acid) + Cortisone Injection to the Middle Ear

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by Ozzy, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      * Ear infection * 20 years later huge sound increase due to stress
      Hi,

I have been suffering from severe tinnitus for about 10 months. Therefore I visited a
      a ENT clinic in Heidelberg / Germany and got information about a new treatment. It is:

Hyaluronan (Hyaluronic Acid) + Cortisone injection
      * Therapy consists of injection of this mixture directly to the middle ear (or to inner ear ?? I'm not sure of that)
      * They apply injection totally 7 times (once a week)
      * Price: Inexpensive. (7 units about 250 Euros = 340 US Dollars)
      (This price is only for this above-mentioned mixture . You might have to pay additional price for "the injection")

The owner of the clinic told me, that although this treatment for Tinnitus is not known yet worldwide, they achieved pretty good results in Germany with many patients !

After coming to my home country (I live in Istanbul / Turkey), I began to make a search about this substance, I mean: "Hyaluronan" (Hyaluronic acid). I learned that this substance is found in all living organisms. I also made a discussion with another doctor here. I learned it has many medical uses, as it has tissue-healing properties.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyaluronan

(I'm unsure, but I'm considering to get this treatment. I might order this special mixture from Germany. But I have to find a good doctor here who can make the injection directly to my middle ear. )

Is there someone who got benefit from this therapy? Or have you heard any information about it?

Best Regards,

• Like Like x 1
    2. jes
      Familiar

jes Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      What is the name of the Clinic in Heidelberg jes

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Jes,

Name & contact information of the clinic which is giving this treatment:
      Company: HNO - Gemeinschaftspraxis
      Owners: Florian Heimlich & Angelika Witzel-Heimlich
      Address: Karlsruher Strasse 86, 69126 HEIDELBERG / GERMANY
      Web-site: http://www.praxis-heimlich.de/
      e-mail: info@praxis-heimlich.de
      Phone: +49 (0) 6221/314814

(Note: I hereby declare that I do NOT have any kind of connection with this clinic or their owners.)

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Interesting!

5. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Did they mention a specific time frame to achieve results? should the tinnitus be less than 1 year or did it not matter? ... I`m in Europe in April. might pay them a visit.

6. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I live about 15 minutes away from Heidelberg, will be there next week tuesday. But I just had a look at their website and they say that it's only for acute Tinnitus (up to 6 months) ... so nothing for most of us...

7. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Yes not longer than 6 months, if you need a translation of anything on their page just let me know.

8. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      Isn't acute up to 6 months? Damn

I'm 5.5 months in. Maybe I should do this?

9. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      That's what I'm saying, isn't it?;) They only treat patients with T up to 6 months with this treatment... not with chronic T

10. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      I don't know how I missed that lol.

11. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      lol. Maybe you should give it a try, but I must admit from what it says on their page, they offer a lot of expensive treatments, so they seem to be a lot into business if you know what I mean;)
      Tinnitus is always a great business...

12. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
    13. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I emailed a friend in germany just now and she gave them a call couple minutes ago ...

The person at the clinic said it also works for long term sufferers. There is possibility to full recovery but depends on the patient. They do 5 infusions and also support the treatement with acupuncture. That`s all she found out just now. But enough for me to go and try it :)

14. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      BTW what they suggest for chronic T: CR neuromodulation, bioresonance therapy and what sounds interesting: pure oxyvenation ( pure oxygen through infusion ) - has anybody tried that?

15. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      no, it's common in Germany to also provide acupuncture and other stuff. It's a bit hard to explain, but in the German health system we have an insurance for everybody and private ones. Doctors don't earn a lot with the regular patients so they tend to offer a lot of different treatments the regular insurance doesn't pay ( or only pays in parts) to earn some extra money plus it has become very popular here to try alternative treatments among them acupuncture. we love it over here! so it's basically normal in Germany to offer acupuncture...

16. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      ok, so maybe I will call them? As I said it's 15 minutes from where I live. But how come their page says it's only meant to be for acute T?

• Like Like x 1
    17. Erlend
      Question it

Erlend Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2013
      If you can call them and hear some examples of people they've been able to help and their cases.. That would be great

• Like Like x 1
    18. Hopeful
      Wishful

Hopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      Call them on behalf of this community. Try to get some results. Some trials they have done. That would be highly appreciated.

19. Hopeful
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      What I have heard about cortisone injections is that sometimes it helps if it's injected within the first few days of onset. And the scientific community doesn't even agree on that. Never heard about the acid, though.

20. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Okay guys, so unfortunately no details on other patients because of patient confidentiality. But I just read in the German Forum that one guy had the treatment done ( 6 weeks into T) and it did nothing for him. What I found out: the treatment is mainly meant to work after a ISSHL with Tinnitus and if it doesn't heal on it's own. So I don't know, nills friend called them too and they said it was also for chronic T... mhh... Unfortunately there are no real studies or trials. There is basically just one ENT professor from the University of Mainz who tested this treatment, but he isn't very trustful IMO because he is a guy from the German Tinnitus League ( has a bad reputation..) And I found out that there are several ENTs all over Germany that offer this treatment, so it is not just available in Heidelberg.

• Informative Informative x 1
    21. Hopeful
      Wishful

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13
      That's what I heard about the cortisone as well. For sudden deafness.

22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      As I said, I visited in this clinic last month. In fact, what I really wanted to get "Acoustic Neuromodulation Therapy" which this clinic is also offering. However, I learned there that Acoustic Neuromodulation Therapy is useful only for "tonal" tinnitus cases. (If you hear single-tone continous-siren-like sound, that is “tonal”). Mine is different. It is a hissing sound, like the gushing of the wind, similar to white noise. (It's so hard to describe !)

Unfortunately I learned that, as my tinnitus is not "tonal", I'm not eligible for this therapy. Seeing that I'm not the right person for the treatment, the doctor recommended me this Hyaluronan (Hyaluronic Acid) + Cortisone injection therapy.

If your tinnitus is "tonal", you might try "Acoustic neuromodulation therapy" first.

But Seal is right. Many ENTs in Germany currently offering both therapies. (I must warn that this clinic is in Heidelberg and this city does not have an international airport. That means that first you have to fly to Frankfurt, then take a train or rent a car to reach Heidelberg.) So you might want to get these therapies from another clinic in Germany.

I gave more information (prices etc.) about about Acoustic Neuromodulation Therapy in another post. If you are interested, you can read my message in the following link:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/acoustic-cr®-neuromodulation-a-new-treatment-for-tinnitus.219/page-9#post-20080

23. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      so Ozzy, are you going to try the hyaluronan and cortison injections?

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, Seal. I want to try that. I've already ordered the mixture (hyaluronan & cortison) from this clinic and requested them to send it via a speed courier like DHL or TNT.

However after calling them, I learned that, instead of a speed courier service, they posted it via normal mail!
      2 weeks passed. I'm still awaiting. After I recieve the mixture, I will try to find a good doctor in Istanbul who can make this injection. (Not all ENT doctors can make this kind of specific injection to the middle ear)

I will inform the results after I get the treatment.

• Like Like x 2
    25. seal

seal Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      cok merci ozzy!!!

26. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rica ederim (You're welcome) Seal !

27. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      @Ozzy : I wish you luck with this my friend. I am not sure how these injection treatments would work unless the source of your tinnitus is caused by inflammation or some type of blood restriction to the inner ear. I have not been able to find any studies with this treatment other than a few using cortisone from years ago. Please be careful and good luck.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @erik: Thank you very much. I learned that cortisone is for inflammation. But the most important component is Hyaluronan (also called hyaluronic acid). This substance has wound-healing properties. I think it is used to heal damaged cochlea. I learned that Hyaluronan is also found in some skin creams.

I found these videos at Youtube link. First link mensions about this substance and inner ear.
      Second link is also interesting.

How does hyaluronic acid helps in our body...

The Secret to Long Life? HA Hyaluronic Acid

• Like Like x 1
    29. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I took some cortizone pills a couple of years after my onset and it did work en relieved me from a tonal T to a softer hiss ... it came back afterwards ;)

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ozzy
      Wishful

Ozzy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @nills Yes, but you took pills. However in this treatment they mix cortisone with hyaluronic acid and inject the mixture directly to your middle ear. It might be better. However, as you have a tonal T, you can try more promising "Acoustic neuromodulation therapy", too.