Hyperacusis and Tinnitus Caused by Noise Exposure (I LOVE Music!) — My Story So Far

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Stayingpositive, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Stayingpositive

Stayingpositive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone, I never thought I would make an account on here and actually post a thread but I’ve been reading many of your stories since April of 2020 when I got my tinnitus. I would really like it if you guys took your time to read this and reply to me and give me advice since I’m struggling.

I’m currently 18 years old but let me go way back to when I was in 8th grade. I don’t remember how I noticed but I remember hearing a buzz in my left ear which really scared me because I was once told that if you wear earbuds you’ll soon develop a sound that will never go away (look at me now lol) and I was aware of that but completely ignored it (I know most kids never listen). So I went to the doctor and she said I was fine and gave me ear drops I already knew that this was probably never going to go away but long story short it actually did go away it wasn’t so bad either.

Now last year in April I developed it again but it was louder (not too loud where I could hear it over everything, but it was surely there if you get me). I had like 3 panic attacks. My family didn’t even know what to do so I went to the doctor and I knew they were going to tell me that it was “tinnitus and there’s nothing I can do about it” and that’s exactly what happened. The doctor also wanted me to go to a psychologist but I didn’t. My family was being very motivating. I spent a whole month worrying and checking my ears and crying. I barely slept. It was horrible since I couldn’t keep my mind off it but after two months I guess you can say I got “used to it” and it wasn’t even noticeable anymore unless I was in a quiet room or about to sleep (it didn’t bother me). In the start of this tinnitus I also developed hyperacusis and I was sensitive to the dishes and loud talking, but that actually went away or maybe I just didn’t notice it anymore either. I coped well and ignored it. I was very happy and even forgot about this site (Success Stories section is truly helpful).

And well now... it’s back and far WORSE. So yesterday I woke up and I had this loud buzz on my right ear and it was so loud that I had to sit up and try to take my mind off it because now it was drilled in my head. I have been having tinnitus since April so I know when it gets worse and it definitely did. I went to the kitchen and my hyperacusis was back after it being completely gone. I got a sudden rush of anxiety and sadness (I’m sure you know what I mean). And today when I woke up it wasn’t so bad as it was yesterday. But as I sat up, it came loud again. If I pay attention to it, it gets worst. Also I tend to hear a static buzz and then a big hummmmm or booooooop when it’s quiet. I definitely think that loud noise exposure is the cause because I do LOVE music and I would always wear earbuds or was exposed to very loud music without minding it. And I think it’s back because I did recently use headphone 4 days ago. It wasn’t even that loud I promise lol. But yes I know I shouldn’t have and I will now keep it away permanently.

Overall I feel very lost and alone. I feel as if I’m back to square one the way I was 10 months ago and it completely sucks. I feel like I’m not going to get better anymore and what’s bugging me most is the hyperacusis because certain sounds hurt my ears and I have to tell my mom to keep her voice down. I just need hope again :(

By the way, I do have bad anxiety and I worry about EVERYTHING, so yes this is killing my mind and I’m scared. Also scared to go to bed because that’s when it’s super loud and scary. But I am trying my hardest to be positive about this.

P.S. I can mask it with a shower, tv or even people talking but my hyperacusis is bad so it’s hard to ignore the fact that I have tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. AnyName

AnyName Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 7th 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've only had mine for 2 weeks but I honestly can't remember what it was like before. But at the same time I can't imagine living like this forever so I'm still holding out for a miracle/improvement. And it's even worse that I don't know what caused it.

I wish we could help each other more than just offering condolences. But tinnitus is such a tricky thing so a lot of us don't know what to do.

• Hug Hug x 2
    3. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      Hey there! I am really sorry to hear that you've not only been having issues with your symptom but have also had it to some degree since eighth grade! I fully expect more and more in both our generation and the next to develop this symptom due to how easy it is to go overboard on the noise. Not saying that's what is the cause of your symptom definitively, but it seems likely.

It's really awful that you had finally gotten to a point after the April onset in which you were at least somewhat able to get on with your life only for you to have a spike all of the sudden. The fortunate thing with regards to spikes like this is they are often reported to be temporary. Unfortunately, temporary can still mean a long time, anywhere from days to weeks to even months. With that being said, I hope you can find some sort of comfort in the fact that it is not guaranteed to stick like this. You might feel as if you've reverted back ten months, but that's the cruel trick that spikes like to play on you. Of course, you are going to be dismayed, but you got through it before. You will most likely get through it again.

The question of headphones is one that has been debated back and forth on this form, with one side stating you should permanently avoid using them in fear of your condition worsening (either temporarily or chronically) and the other believing it is okay as long as you maintain very conservative volumes. I don't think there is a definitive answer either way, just like many aspects of this symptom, so we must rely on our personal anecdotes.

I would personally advise you stay away from headphones for a long, long time at the very least. I think it's best to not take any sort of risks for the time being. If you don't have any, I would invest in some good speakers. Hopefully you are in a living situation where you can use them without bugging others.

The main thing that you can do right now is wait. I know that answer sucks. It's one I have been told and still haven't even processed myself. How are you supposed to wait when this is almost a constant, everyday thing? I don't know myself. The only thing I can do is just do it. I'm sitting here right now writing with it bothering me quite a bit (might have a mini-spike of sorts), but I'm trying to power through it. Can't say I'm happy, but I am living and hoping for the best. I hope you can do the same, and that you will only get better with each passing day.

If you want to reach out and speak further privately, I can do that. I understand entirely how it feels to be alone with this, as I think everyone does to some extent. It's why we congregate here. Friends and families without the symptom (or those that do have it but very mildly) cannot seem to grasp the distress this phantom noise inflicts on a person. I feel like if I went to talk to my grandparents about how bad I am today, they'd wonder why I'm still on this thing from weeks ago. Sigh.

Anyway, best wishes, and I hope you have a great rest of your week.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stayingpositive

Stayingpositive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I agree tinnitus is a tricky thing and it’s hard to keep our heads up when we have this constant sound. But at least we’re all not alone! I’m also holding out for a miracle or improvement.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stayingpositive

Stayingpositive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for your time in reaching out. I really hope this is just a spike and I agree that waiting is the best we can all do. Also yes, I feel like people in both our generation will probably soon develop this because of what you mentioned. I remember a while back around my sophomore year I had a friend who had tinnitus. He had mentioned that he had to sleep with a fan on to ignore the sound and I remember telling myself “wow that must be terrible I don’t think I would be able to deal with that due to my anxiety” and here I am dealing with it. And anxiety is really making it harder for me especially when people around me don’t really understand.

But I hope you also have a great rest of your week!

• Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Stayingpositive

Stayingpositive Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello. I thought I would make an update and see people’s thoughts on this.

So my hyperacusis went away! I noticed that it was my anxiety that would make it worse. I had to calm myself down and continue on with my days and it slowly just went away, thank god. But I know that whenever I get anxiety it comes back a little until I calm down.

That’s not it though. My tinnitus is still here which is fine but it does change sounds at times and I feel like it gets louder some days. Usually I can mask it but I feel like it slowly is just increasing. There’s times that at night it’s too loud and I can’t sleep. I definitely did let go of earbuds/headphones completely but just yesterday I was exposed to very loud noise again in a car for a long period of time. The music was super loud but I did have paper in my ear just for a bit of protection since I did forget my earplugs. I overthought it too much though and now I’m back to feeling worried. It did happen yesterday so maybe my hyperacusis will come back in like 3 days because of it and me thinking about it too much.

I feel like my worry is getting hearing loss. As of now I haven’t gone to an ENT to get my hearing checked and I’ve been avoiding it because I rather not know. I have a sort of anxiety where I seem to google all my symptoms and well I just feel that I have some hearing loss. I do seem to hear normal in both of my ears, that’s never really decreased but still I’m not sure. I also haven’t checked my frequencies online (I’m way too scared). I know that hearing loss to some people really isn’t that much of a big deal and it doesn’t bother them because they get used to it but It’s my anxiety that ruins everything for me because I worry about every LITTLE thing. I will definitely get it checked out though and see what they tell me.

I feel like my ears are fu***ed up honestly.