Hyperacusis Definition?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mark Beehre, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      From the Hyperaccusis Network website:

"Hyperacusis is defined as a collapsed tolerance to normal environmental sounds. Ears also lose most of their dynamic range. What is dynamic range? Dynamic range is the ability of the ear to deal with quick shifts in sound loudness. Suddenly everyday noises sound unbearably or painfully loud. The disorder is often chronic and usually accompanied by tinnitus (ringing in the ears), but can occur in patients who have little or no measurable hearing loss."

Now, I am confused. 3.5 months ago I started feeling significant pain in my right ear in addition to a sense of fullness or blockage. This was accompanied by increased tinnitus. Initial post of this forum advised me I was suffering from hyperaccusis. Given that I had the symptoms I would agree.

However, I don't have a collapsed tolerance to sound as I can see it, unless it's marginal and I don't notice the change. Everyday sounds appear no louder to me today than they have ever been in the past. But I still get the pain in my right ear and headaches. I mowed the lawn yesterday with hearing protection in place and was in significant discomfort the rest of the afternoon/evening. I drove to work and for the first half of the 30 minute journey noticed increased pain in my right ear, which eased back to a gentle throb for the second half.

There is a distinct lack of qualified professionals where I live and I simply don't have a diagnosis which is frustrating me no end. :(

Does anyone who has been diagnosed with hyperaccusis have a similar situation to me so I can relate?

2. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      I'm with you on that. It isn't always about volume so much as intense discomfort for me. I think the term "hyperacusis" is used where the term "dysacusis" would more appropriate. From there one could see subsets of dysacusis, one of which is hyperacusis (volume, dynamic range etc.). I think the word has entered popular useage because it is emotive, but the thing about medical language was traditionally the need for precision and accuracy (and yes, hair-splitting). Hard to do with a subjective disorder, but necessary where possible as I think different presentations can signify different disease processes. At the moment, as many of us have found, we all just get medically dumped in the tinnitus basket with little or no deeper investigation unless we present something objective like falling over in the surgery.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mark Beehre
      Facebooking

Mark Beehre Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2008 // 11/2014
      Interesting. Thank you! :)

4. conbsgc

conbsgc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october
      From my understand hyperacusis is actual pain, sound causes pain and discomfort.... I wouldn't take someone telling you you have hyperacusis over the internet as very serious.

Maybe you're focusing too much on your ears that all that attention makes your ears feel clogged and sensitive to sound.