I Agree, It Gets Better

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by washashore, Apr 16, 2015.

1. washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Hey Everyone - It's been awhile since I posted on this forum, but I've been meaning to come back and post my "success story" since others stories were so incredibly helpful to me when I was really suffering.

It all started a little over a year ago after a night out a very loud concert. I woke up the next day to a bunch different sounds in my head - a ringing and static noise in both ears and a bonus hollow buzzing in my left ear. I thought it would go away after a few days, but it didn't and it still hasn't. I can hear it over everything (the TV, my car, even a loud bar). I can hear it loud and clear as I write this post in a perfectly quiet room. I went to an ENT who told me there was nothing he could do and that I would probably have the sounds in my head for life. Cue total freak out. I couldn't even comprehend how I would learn to live with this - I became depressed, withdrawn, and very paranoid of even slightly loud sounds. I felt like I was living a nightmare. This went on for about six months or so. I would have good days and bad days, but I never really felt like I was making any progress; I was still consumed by my tinnitus almost every minute of the day.

I don't really know when things started to change for me, but eventually I began to have longer and longer periods of not noticing my T at all. This was especially true during times when I was very busy at work or had other distractions in my life. I guess my brain just got tired of being on constant alert and began to filter out the noises. Over the next six months I have gradually gotten to the point that I am in today - where my tinnitus doesn't bother me very much at all. Its still there, but I don't notice it. Every now and then I have a setback where it bugs me more than usual for day, but I just push through it and get one with my day.

I wish I had some more concrete advice to give, but the truth is - I didn't real do anything (it just took some time). Try not to let your T prevent you from doing anything that you would have done before - go out with friends, go to movies, go to work, go to the gym. If you think somewhere is too loud, just bring some ear plugs. I got some great custom ones made that are barely noticeable. I wear them if there a band playing at a bar or when the music is cranking at the gym.

Anyways - just wanted anyone out there really struggling know that it wont be this way forever. Well, the sound might still be there, but you'll be fine.

I don't visit the forum very much anymore, but feel free to send me a message if you want to chat...

• Like Like x 6
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Kah Povi

Kah Povi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genetics and stress
      Wahashore: Thank you for this post. I think that some of the desperation I and others feel about a cure just makes things worse. I feel I need to stop surfing this site for the next miracle cure. I am trying some things that seem like reputable possibilities, but I am my healthiest when I let go of expecting any reduction. My T has spiked in the last year or at least my noticing it has spiked - mainly because I decided to withdraw from benzos. I am extremely happy about being benzo free (for over a year!); in many ways I'm happier than I've ever been -- except for the new attention to the tinnitus. I'm sure there's some real increase in the volume, but I also know that there are days when I don't notice it so much, as you said, when I'm busy and absorbed. I went on a two hour hike today, dreading the quiet and lack of distractions exaggerating my T even more. It was heavenly -- a beautiful place in the mountains, no one else around and I felt enormous appreciation for everything; the T didn't seem very important. Back home and tired, the desperation around the T started to creep in again. I am certain that 99% of this is attitude and attention - I am looking forward to returning to a time when I was vaguely aware that the ringing was there but it was not front and center as it has become now. Your story really perked me up and put me back on the right path.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      washashore
      Fine

washashore Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      @Kah Povi Thanks for your message. It sounds like you are on the right track- not really paying attention to your T while on hike is a great sign, even if it was short-lived. Mother Nature is the best healer that I'm aware of.

• Like Like x 1
    4. kevin b
      Fine

kevin b Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2014
      I agree with you . I have had T alittle over a year now and it seems for most it is a gradual improvement over time. I have longer periods of the day where I don't notice it, though it still gets me pretty good in the morning. I believe, though not 100% sure that balance is a key element to getting better- going to the gym, walks. laughing with family and friends- trying to get back what you think you lost. I also though still look for ways to improve, right now i am trying acupuncture and I still come on the forum to read about possible new things in the pipeline that will help alleviate or possibly cure us. Me personally I think belief in a better future is important but we must also live in the day, something I am still working on. It is definetly important for all of us to keep pushing forward, like washashore says you will slowly notice yourself getting better, wheter for a few minutes, hours or even days- i think we must- as hard as it can be-to hold on to those good times when the hard times come back . God Bless,
      Kevin

• Like Like x 1
    5. awbw8
      Balanced

awbw8 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2013

It's at times like these that I wish we had a "F**k Yeah!" emoji to rate posts with...like a power fist or something.

So happy for you @washashore and thank you for coming back to say things got better for you.

• Like Like x 1