I Became Better with Notched Sound Therapy and ACRN, After Two Years of Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by katex18, Sep 14, 2018.

1. katex18

katex18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Two years ago I got tinnitus, and I was very frustrated as you can see from my post here:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/i-got-tinnitus-for-2-weeks.16857/

I tried a few things but what seem most effective are sound therapies. I read about notched sound therapy, and I downloaded the Audacity software to make some tracks to listen to. Then I also read about ACRN and I tried it on the generalfuzz website. I didn't feel any improvement of my tinnitus in the first 3 months, and I actually gave up at that time because it took quite some work to make new tracks for notched sound therapy. It was also inconvient that everytime I want to try ACRN I have to go to the generalfuzz website.

After stopping for about 2 months, I felt more motivated so I picked them up again. I started notice minor change to my tinnitus a month later. Then my tinnitus kept improving, to the point that tinnitus doesn't bother me anymore. I did stop again thinking that this was the best I could get, but my tinnitus got worse. So I started doing notched sound therapy and ACRN again.

Recently I found an iPhone app called Tinnitus Angel which includes both notched sound therapy and something very similar to or the same as ACRN. The app costs some money but makes things easy to do notched sound therapy or ACRN whenever I want. To my surprise, the app further reduces my tinnitus.

I'm really amazed by the effects of notched sound therapy and ACRN. I can't imagine how I would become without the relief and improvement they provide.

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. MichaelF6161
      Balanced

MichaelF6161 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to Gun Fire
      How much does this app cost? If you go to the App Store there is no pricing information.
      Glad you are getting relief with it.

3. Leoglobe
      Tolerant

Leoglobe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      It is about $90 for 3 months. I did it and it didn’t help much.

• Useful Useful x 1
    4. JuneStar
      Sheepish

JuneStar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      • Like Like x 1
    5. MichaelF6161
      Balanced

MichaelF6161 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to Gun Fire
      Okay, thanks for getting back to me. Good luck.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katex18

katex18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Different people take different time for sound therapies to work. Some people take a really short time to find them effective. For some other people like me it took several months before I noticed my improvements. Therefore, I learn from my own experience not to keep thinking too much if this is working or not, as this makes us nervous and work against our interest. You have to give time just to try. It may really work for you but just take a bit more time. And if you give up early you may lose your chance.

I just checked the Tinnitus Angel app, and for 3 months it actually costs $59.99, and for 1 year it costs $99.99.
      https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1323769129

7. MichaelF6161
      Balanced

MichaelF6161 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to Gun Fire
      I think regardless of the music therapy system, most say to deliver therapy for at least 6-8 months to determine the full effect. I think it is important to keep this in mind. It's analogous to taking a medicine that may need a loading dose to build up in the system before you can determine if it is working for you or not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. MichaelF6161
      Balanced

MichaelF6161 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to Gun Fire
      Did you ever sign up for their service? I contacted them about the process to take your music files and notch them. Seemed clear as mud to me, but another user assured me it was not that hard. I think I'll give it a go.

9. dnl
      Wishful

dnl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin/Bupropion
      There are notched therapy noise tracks available on Apple Music. The artist is called 'Vaporwave.'

Once you determine the frequency of your tinnitus, just find the track associated with that frequency. I listen to track 25 on "Notch White Noise: Tinnitus Therapy, Vol. 2"

https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/notch-white-noise-tinnitus-therapy-vol-2/1154730692

There are also Pink and Brown noise versions.

Notched therapy hasn't helped me much, but I've only tried it for a few weeks at a time. These tracks help me focus at work, and I'd recommend them for that at least.

• Like Like x 1
    10. MichaelF6161
      Balanced

MichaelF6161 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to Gun Fire
      Thanks for the link. That's good to know that you can just download some tracks versus subscribing to a service.

I saw that he has tracks with some really high frequencies. I can't hear anything above around 8900 Hz. How does someone who has a T above that match it? I mean, you can't hear it in the ear to validate it. Just curious.

I'm trying to listen to notched therapy 2 hours a day. Some days I can, some I can't. I think once I get hearing aids with BT capabilities, I"ll be able to do much more.

11. dnl
      Wishful

dnl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin/Bupropion
      I'm actually not sure if notched therapy would be beneficial to people with tinnitus that exists within the range of their hearing loss. I think notched therapy is designed to null the frequency within a range of sound so that your tinnitus provides the signal within that range and becomes part of a 'normal' or expected signal within the range of sound within your brain. If you can't hear within that range, it may not be effective. If a hearing aid restores sound within that range for you, notched therapy might help. I'm speaking way beyond my knowledge of any of this, so take it with a grain of salt. I'd be interested in knowing if just having a hearing aid (and having hearing restored within the range of your tinnitus) helps reduce the tinnitus signal by itself. Let us know!

12. MichaelF6161
      Balanced

MichaelF6161 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to Gun Fire
      Me too. I'll let you know by the end of November.

• Like Like x 1
    13. MikeV

MikeV Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I use it. It's free and often relieves my T. Sometimes works great, other times doesn't help much or the relief is slight and short-lived.