I Found a Possible Answer to My Tinnitus — My Tinnitus and Other Symptoms Have Improved

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Beck, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Beck

Beck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi all, This is my first and only post of this forum, although I did look for answers on it at one point and felt very discouraged by how much everyone was suffering (including myself). I'm posting now because after nine months of various symptoms, I found a potential answer that was completely unexpected.

First, my story: In April 2019, after hiking in an area with Lyme infected ticks, my ears suddenly became clogged and itchy (I actually felt like a tick was crawling in my ear). For the next three months my ears felt somewhat clogged, but I was busy getting ready for a big event and just ignored it.

In June I attended a baby shower where loud music was playing and immediately upon leaving, I heard huge roaring white noise in both ears. The tinnitus turned into loud, erratic, unusual noises that were almost impossible to ignore. My ears remained clogged until I took an antihistamine, which caused them to pop, but the tinnitus continued.

I saw six different doctors who either said, ignore it and it will go away, or treated me for eustachian tube dysfunction.

Meanwhile, I developed other symptoms including popping and cracking in the ears, distortion in my right ear (hyperacusis), sound sensitivity, lots of pressure in the ear. My hearing was tested twice and I had no hearing loss but the tinnitus raged on. Then I got some additional symptoms that I didn't know if they were form the medications (Flonase, Zyrtec) or from whatever was wrong with my auditory system. I started to feel lightheaded and a shifting sensation in my head.

Finally in November, one of my ENTs sent me to an auditory neurologist who diagnosed me with atypical migraine. This can be controlled with dietary modifications and I am on the road to feeling better.

You should look into this if your symptoms are similar to mine. Good luck!

• Winner Winner x 3
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      What do you mean by "feeling better"?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Beck

Beck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It's too early to tell if all my symptoms will go away, but so far my tinnitus has quieted down and there are long periods of time when I don't even notice it.

The clogging and pressure in my ears is better on and off depending on how well I am following the migraine diet (sometimes I slip by accident and sometimes I cheat and have caffeine or wine). The dizziness is reduced but still there as is the shifting feeling. But I am improving gradually.

If you want more info on atypical migraine, look up research by Dr. Dajilian from UC Irvine or the Heal Your Headache Diet or the website by the Dizzy Cook.

I just wanted people to know that even if all your symptoms are auditory (and mine were pretty much unilateral on my right side), you could be experiencing a form of migraine that can be treated by diet or by a combination of diet and medications.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. Daleann

Daleann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thanks for your story. What were your dietary changes?