I Have a Theory for Those People Whose Tinnitus Increases During or After Exercise

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Jul 5, 2016.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      For a long time exercise never had any effect on my T because it was loud already. Now, however, I have decreased it some and the exercise makes it increase during and afterward. I think it has to do with glutamate levels. The reason I say that is because the medicine and supplements that help me to take a notch down on my tinnitus also effect glutamate. Glutamate is an excitatory neurotransmitter so it would make sense that it could increase T in some people. I also found the following study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23377269

What are your thoughts? I haven't tried it yet but I thought about taking some kind of supplement that regulates or reduces glutamate about an hour or two before I exercise. Other possibilities include something that would increase gaba levels which is a CNS depressant.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Whenever i work out my T will spike for a little bit, and then it calms down.

3. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      When i had MSG in food i had a big spike. It also happened to spike for a few days after swimming.

4. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5:10 PM 03/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Scombroid food poisoning.
      Glutamate is in fact one of few excitatory neurotransmitters that exist in your brain and mediate all signals across the synaptic clefts, of which you have five in the auditory pathway. So yes, obviously T will spike if you have marginally more glutamate available because when you work out our metabolism starts going up.

You can't really safely regulate Glu-GABA levels because your body adapts to it. It's like a thermostat, if there's not enough glutamate active your body will make more. And then when the GABA from supplementation get's cleaned out you're going to be left with a lot of glutamate. That's not a good idea.

Glutamate in fact increases T in all people. Even though mainstream science seems to believe it can not cross the blood brain barrier, when you eat it and have tinnitus you'll know very quickly. These were the responses from the survey done here a while back; (note: MSG equals glutamate to the human body as it is processed and metabolized in exactly the same way)

Eating MSG effect.png

The goal behind targeted neural inhibitory drugs is that they close only the channels in the auditory pathway and thus you're signal amplification would be quenched as it were. But given that glutamate is absolutely crucial for all nervous system potentials it seems to be easier to find alien life that knows how to bend space-time surgically to reach and repair the CNS, than it would be to cure tinnitus using drugs.

I've only considered taking a bit of GABA to fall asleep if the T is really loud that day, and I think for that purpose it would do fine on occasion.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's worth mentioning that Glutamate would also be cleared out pretty quickly, scale of an hour, but in that time it could cause damage if you had excessive amounts of it in your body, which is not attainable without certain medication, a stroke, or neurotoxins. As glutamate and GABA have a metabolic chain link with each other I don't know what for example a lot of GABA supplementation would do.

6. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      The hunt for the aliens is on!!!

:rockingbanana::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::wideyed::rockingbanana:

Okay, just a little emoticon-levity.

• Funny Funny x 2
    7. Cityjohn
      Inspired

Cityjohn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Haha,

Foilhat_tin-foil_hats.jpg

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      Sounds like we are all screwed for life.

• Hug Hug x 2
    9. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Cityjohn You found one!!! Get him to work on tinnitus!!!

@Ears Hurt No, we are not. Life is a river - keep that head above water and keep swimming. New approaches and treatments can come along in ways we sometimes cannot imagine. Not everything needs a drug. Look at every gain in science and medicine today for a variety of conditions, and imagine the people ten years earlier who had no access to it. Hang in. It's worth it, and so is your very existence. <3

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Path Maker Thank you. I've been experiencing a low point, and I am just trying to take one day at a time. I am scared to think of the future.

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Ears Hurt I get it. I'm so sorry you are at a low. I would do anything I could in one second flat to make this all go away for every single person on and not on this forum. Sending you a real hug.

12. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Path Maker Yes, me too. Nobody should have to endure this constantly. I think that is what gets me the most. It completely messes with your mind. I can't find my calm and relax self anymore. I feel like a different person, and it is certainly not for the better.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I still can't believe scientists and science left us alone and led us suffer this for a lifetime. This is pure madness. People give me that look when I tell them I prefer to get cancer instead of this. Even my own family do not understand my pain. This morning they said "You did this to yourself, stop complaining about it".. They always forget that I had to take those drugs for the pain and sickness they caused me. This life isn't fair and now I'm struggling to believe in God..

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    14. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I know. And I try to remind myself that even though I loved my life before this, that I have to keep on loving it after/with this.

Of course I would wish it away in an instant. But to gain a bigger perspective, I keep looking at all the people in this world who don't get a rose garden either. And that our human journeys are not set in stone and that it's never guaranteed that everything will be all right all the time.

Yes, the most awful thing about the tinnitus is that it's so THERE, inside, all the time.

For some reason, and this is very personal, coming from inside me, throughout this, whenever I remind myself that others have awful stuff that happens, too, and went on because they had to, I keep thinking about:

Nelson Mandela - all those vital years of his good life, imprisoned. He had to accept it and hold it together and thrive despite.

I think about the Holocaust - all of the holocausts - all people who have these severe unjust inhumanities thrust upon them - and how the survivors went on, and how they did the best they could with their forever changed lives.

I think about people who are coasting along with life being all fine, and then bigtime tragedies strike (the car accidents, the house fires that kill, etc.). And how the ones who survive and live have to carry on without their family members. How some of them form foundations and awareness programs and make new laws for safety devices in cars and etc.

Sorry! I know this is all grim stuff. But I don't dwell on it for the sake of grimness. It just pops into my mind on bad days to help me to remind myself to be ... a warrior.

To make my life about more than just the lovely rose garden (even though life IS supposed to be about the beautiful and the peaceful, too, and it's OKAY to want that!!! :) ).

But given that this tinnitus is also here, I have to ADAPT and to FIND MEANING and work around, through, and with it, as well. I hope this was a hopeful message. I meant it to be.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    15. Path Maker

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      @Beste I am so sorry for your suffering!

The thing is, I think sometimes suffering is something in the universe that is calling to us to grow deeper. (Please don't take that the wrong way - I am suffering with this too, and I'm not minimizing your suffering).

But life was never "fair." It just may have "felt" fair before you entered a state of suffering. And while you and I and others were without tinnitus, we must've "felt" our lives were pretty fair, too, right? (And all that while, when we DIDN'T have tinnitus, there were many people, already ON this forum, who DID!!!).

So it's not whether or not life is fair, because it isn't.

As to God, everyone has to come to their own personal reflection about a maker, a universal source, a purpose in the cosmos, etc. But it will definitely make a person grow deeper to reflect that a belief in "God," however they choose to see it, is a more beautiful and lasting belief when it DOESN'T depend just on how "my" personal life is going. Because THAT kind of "God" can only exist for the people who AREN'T in some kind of suffering, and only WHILE they aren't.

Eventually, bad things happen to most of us. The beautiful journey is to keep on persisting despite.

Again, I don't say that lightly to you or to me or to anyone. I say it to you with a great deal of care and compassion and I hope that you are able to find good support from good people (even if you have to go outside of your family - remember, if "family" is of no help, they are just a handful of people on this big, big earth. I hope you can find support from others!!!).

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      well not at all,
      i understand what cityjohn says so i would believe that we are fucked for life too.
      But, if the source of the problem if the inner ear or the damage.
      there are other approaches that could easily fix it.

-Steam cells and nerve regeneration.
      is one that looks promising.

-numbing the auditory nerve

-injections

idk... the space is limitless
      :D heheh

• Friendly Friendly x 1