I Have to Get Tooth Drilled Tomorrow. How Do I Prevent Further Hearing Loss or Other Issues?

Discussion in 'Support' started by jdjd09, Mar 1, 2017.

1. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

I am concerned. I lost my hearing about a year ago in both ears. More in one than the other. I'm in my 20s and can't deal with further hearing loss.

Would getting my teeth drilled lead to further hearing loss? How loud can drills get and should I be concerned? I'm really worried about this.

Also, I have ringing that I hear over EVERYTHING pretty much. I just want to make sure my ears are protected.

2. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Some other people will probably answer this much better, but for now.

I think it's better WITHOUT earplugs.
      Also use NAC and/or MAG.

3. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      It is good you are taking care of your teeth. Why the drilling? Cavity?

Do not use ear plugs or noise canceling headsets or ear muffs. The bone conduction through the drilling is made worse with the "protection" does not prevent anything.

Have the drilling done in small segments of time (ten seconds) stop then continue.

You will be just fine.

4. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Tell your dentist abour your condition beforehand. Ask them to use a small drill instead of the big one if you can't handle it. Also, take rests in between (this means asking your dentist to stop every now and then). Don't wear earplugs, they make everything going on inside your mouth much louder. I used earmuffs which isn't much better than earplugs, but not as bad as being unprotected (at least for me). I have hyperacusis, but I have bigger issues with frequency than volume. The earmuffs don't help much with the loudness but they remove the edge off high-pitched sounds.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

Now I'm confused because some are saying to use hearing protection (ear plugs) and some not. Which is it :/?

Also, would there be any harm in just letting him do whatever? Just let him do his job and not mention anything? AKA, just let him do his job and not insist he pauses every ten to 20 seconds?

Sorry, I'm lost what to do :/. Its a drilling for a cavity for those who asks (or "claim" that I have a cavity).

6. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I'm curious as to the method by which sound gets louder or the bone conduction gets worse. There's a certain sound level, and it isn't like the sound that can't get in though the ears takes a different route and somehow becomes louder or leads to more/worse bone conduction.

I would believe that wearing earplugs cuts off sound through that channel and makes one more aware of sound by conduction. I'm happy to be convinced if someone has references for this.

7. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      I'm speaking from personal experience. Some people can handle tooth drilling without ear protection. Some can't. I'm one of those who can't. You'll know what you can handle and not once you're sitting there.

I had to tell my dentist about my condition so she would know why I couldn't deal with the big drill and why she had to stop every now and then. It wasn't just a precaution for me but an immediate necessity. But I don't have just T. I have H as well.

8. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Earplugs cause the occlusion effect, and since the sound is generated in your mouth they may be counterproductive. I'm not sure if the occlusion effect works the same way with earmuffs as they dampen sound outside your ear.

• Like Like x 1
    9. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      DON'T wear earplugs.

10. Kelvin

Kelvin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Work
      Dental drills are about 95DB or close to that and as you probably know its a very high pitched air turbine noise. Most people find it unpleasant.
      My T started after a visit to my dentist.
      So...for whats its worth, my advice would be to wear at least some sort of protection for the few minutes you are there being drilled.
      Not sure if it was the drill or the wrenching my jaw apart, but something set my T off at that dental visit.
      Its not stopped yet.
      Best of luck.