I Need Help / Advice and Opinion of a Drug (Finasteride)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Acufénico, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Acufénico
      No Mood

Acufénico Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hello, community,
      I am 33 and developed mild tinnitus in June of 2017, in January of 2018 after using a headset with music and movies at low volume one night, I developed hyperacusis / reactive tinnitus and an increase of my tinnitus, I read late to @Michael Leigh ... Now computers, TV, A/C trigger my tinnitus. I work in an office full of PC, A/C... when I get home I have an unbearable high pitch.
      On my last visit to the ENT, he asked me if I was taking any drugs.
      I am taking Finasteride since February 2017, the drug is not ototoxic, he didn't think it had any effect on my tinnitus. I didn't see him very convinced.

Does anyone take this medication or have experience with it? If I stop taking the medication, can my tinnitus be mild again or disappear?

I know that the question does not make much sense but I am despairing in my life, sometimes I hear pink noise but I can not hear it for more than an hour because it increases my tinnitus more and moooooooore.

I must continue with this stupid existence, I have responsibilities.
      My best wishes to all the sufferers of this torture.

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have been taking it for about 10 years now. It Had stopped hair loss, and my hair is similar to what it was when I began taking Proscar.

If your T is a result of an acoustic trauma, then I am not sure why you think your T might change if you discontinue taking Proscar.

Be warned that a small fraction of people had developed tinnitus after stopping taking Proscar too abruptly(!)
      In that thread, the poster recommended that I search for "tinnitus" in
      propeciahelp.com
      I found more cases there of people developing T after stopping taking Proscar too abruptly.

Also read
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/gaba-a.4228/

Then there's this:

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    3. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      How has finasteride been for you over the last 10 years? My hair's been thinning for a couple years now I'm at the stage where I need to either decide to jump on it or not. The horror stories on propeciahelp and reddit.com/r/tressless have me a bit worried but it's hard to separate the real side effects from the hysteria.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. housemzk

housemzk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 18, 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      concussions, wisdom teeth removal, neck, jaw, stress, noise?
      @acufenero - What's your dosage? I've been finasteride for at least 17 years, taking 1mg daily. I'm quite confident it has no impact on my tinnitus, but over on Reddit some users claim that finasteride caused/contributed to their tinnitus.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Acufénico
      No Mood

Acufénico Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Thank you @Bill Bauer, for your response and work.
      Pure despair.
      I'm taking 1mg / day and I think Finasteride doesn't have an impact on my tinnitus either.
      I'm not totally sure. I'm going to take a look at what they say on reddit.

My hair is much better without a doubt, but I prefer to be bald to make my tinnitus worse.

• Like Like x 1