I Now Have Double Tinnitus!

Discussion in 'Support' started by RCB, Apr 26, 2016.

1. RCB

RCB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I have had a rabid cicada choir singing in the middle of my head forever. Louder than my vacuum cleaner.
      Monday morning I woke to find I had lost complete hearing in my right ear.
      ENT says this happens more often than is known. She sees about one a week.
      Audiology tests confirmed this and I will be undergoing other tests and treatments. Not too hopeful of a recovery if the high dose of steroids doesn't do the trick.
      But if you can believe this!
      I now have a white noise machine sound coming from my right ear area!
      And I still have the cicada swarm!
      Double tinnitus!
      For those of you with the severe tinnitus , you will understand me when I tell you that after only a day that this is exhausting.
      Just thought I would share this since there doesn't appear to be anything I can do about it!
      Lots of exclamation points but they are deserved.
      I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
      I'm not the crying type. But good grief!
      Thanks,
      RB

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      sudden hearing loss. Get on the steroids RIGHT NOW.

do not wait.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RCB

RCB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I am on it.
      I got to the dr in just a few hours. I have taken 120 mgs already. I will be a shrunken prune soon!

• Funny Funny x 1
    4. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      yeah. the steroids should do the trick.

The good thing is you can recover completely from sudden hearing loss. You're on it early so prognosis is Good

i recovered fully from SHL recently.

Take pharma grade ginkgo too. try to get hyperbaric treatment ASAP

asymmetric hearing totally fucks with your concentration. you need to resolve this

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RCB

RCB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks
      I am going to a second Doctor tomorrow who is an ENT with ear specialty. My other ENT doc
      is a generalist. MRI should be tomorrow too. Looking to see if something is cutting off the
      blood supply - oxygen supply. or nerve. I can already see the problems with a "blind side" for hearing. I can't tell where any sound is coming from. My left ear and brain is scrambling to adapt. Really bizarre feeling.
      Thanks for you quick reply. It gives me hope.

6. jeanoroid
      Yeehaw

jeanoroid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / headphones
      I get a loud spike in the left ear - and it's so loud that hearing becomes crunchy in that ear. Usually recedes after 6 hours or so. I've noticed that the ringing in either ear is never the same as the opposite ear and there can be upwards of three or four frequencies going at one time in each ear.
      The "hissing" that feels located in the center of my head presents itself exactly how mics do on a drum kit when they are out of phase. Our engineers here will be familiar with this.
      In all it seems like a legion of differing frequencies wailing at any time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      also don't avoid noise like a lot of new T sufferers.

i believe the ear getting simulation is good for recovery. when i had full blown SHL, i still went to clubs. I just didn't stand very close to the speakers.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RCB

RCB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Thanks for your responses.
      A sudden hearing loss isn't really the topic of this tinnitus board I know but
      I thought the double tinnitus would be of interest to you all.
      We all know that only those of us with this tinnitus curse have any idea what
      it is or what it does to us and how we all have to figure out how to cope.
      But we do need to always keep things in perspective.
      As we grow older with our families we certainly see others suffer various physical affictions which are much more difficult to deal with. Tinnitus is just one of the strange and weird ones. If it is the only
      thing we have to deal with we may be more fortunate than others.
      I'll update how things go on my new journey as it relates to the tinnitus aspect
      of things. I am anxious to see if the hearing returns whether or not the 2nd tinnitus goes away.
      For some reason I am optimistic that I am going to get some hearing back on my right side.
      Just a gut feeling.
      Best of luck to all you fellow members of this not so small tinnitus clan.
      RB

9. Boy Helios

Boy Helios Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      tinnitus is directly related to hearing loss and sudden hearing loss

90% of sudden hearing loss sufferers also suffer from T.

you will get you hearing back, esp. if it didn't go completely deaf in the bad ear

basically 60% of people recover with no treatment but take the steroids just to be safe. the steroids caused massive side effects. I felt psychotic at times.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RCB

RCB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      SOME HAVE NOTICED THAT I TYPED APRIL 35 WHEN I MEANT APRIL 25.
      I WAS JUST TESTING YOU!
      BY THE WAY.
      I STILL HAVE THE DISTINCT DOUBLE TINNITUS. THE OVERALL SWARM OF CICADAS WHICH LIVE IN THE MIDDLE OF MY BRAIN THAT I AM SURE MANY OF YOUR ARE VERY FAMILIAR WITH. AND A NEW SEPARATE WHITE NOISE MACHINE SOUND TINNITUS IN MY RIGHT EAR. I WOKE UP LAST MONDAY, april 25th! WITH NO HEARING IN MY RIGHT EAR.
      I AM ON MY SEVENTH DAY OF SUPER DOSES OF PREDNISONE FOR THE HEARING LOSS.
      HAD AN MRI YESTERDAY MORNING AND NO CALL TODAY TO TELL ME NOT TO DRIVE SO I THINK THAT MEANS I DON'T HAVE A BRAIN TUMOR AT LEAST!
      BUT THE HEARING DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE FIXING ITSELF.
      april 35th. ha
      GLAD TO SEE SOMEONE IS ON THE BALL!
      HAVE A GOOD WEEK.
      THANKS,
      rb

11. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Hyperbaric?

12. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I know what you mean about the cicadas in the middle of the brain sound. Im having it right now. All I can say is I HOPE it goes down for both of us.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RCB

RCB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      VERY GOOD UPDATE
      Spontaneous recovery! Which was one of the likely medical possibilities all along - that no one would voice out loud because, unless there is a tumor or obvious disease, there is no rhyme or reason for the lost hearing in the first place.
      There is no basis on which to say just wait and it will resolve itself. It just happens in some instances.
      I have my hearing back in my right ear!
      It appears that this happens in many cases so a week of uncertainty has a good ending.
      Hearing is not 100%, but is clearly more than 70% as good as the other ear!.
      The good ear is still like the sound from a nice cloth covered speaker cabinet. The bad ear is now sounds like an old plastic car speaker.
      But they both work.
      Wow.
      Still have the double tinnitus.
      I'll keep you posted on how that goes.
      Thanks for your interest and feedback.
      Have a good week herding those cicadas.
      RCB

• Like Like x 1
    14. NineNails

NineNails Member

I can totally relate! I'd been completely deaf on one ear for almost two weeks. Fortunately, like yours my hearing did slowly recover. Though, not completely! Still having hearing loss and extreme reactive T.