I Want a Short Haircut — Should I Be Worried About Clippers Buzzing Near Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Vin, Mar 9, 2020.

1. Vin

Vin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      73F9B4CA-EE78-448C-85D6-1E66578237AA.jpeg

I have grown my hair out since I have had tinnitus but I want to go back to my bald skin fade now that spring and summer are coming in a couple months.

Should I be worried about the buzzing of clippers near my ears? Should I wear ear plugs? I don’t care how stupid I will look, I am past that... or is it not worth the risk? I have worn my hair short like this for the last 5 years and love it like this. No fuss, just shower and go.

Any advice?

Thanks!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      Hi, I cut my hair myself with a buzzer. I generally don't wear earplugs, it is not very loud (75/80-ish db most of the time, I measured with my physical db meter).
      I already wore earplugs though (because I take a long shower with high pressure to get rid of most of the cut hair right after and that can be loud). If you decide to use some during the hair cutting, I would suggest to use foam earplugs. I tried with silicon custom molded earplugs first and the contact of the buzzer against the head was very uncomfortable (and seemed loud) because of the occlusion.

• Like Like x 2
    3. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

I wear earplugs and personally tell them no hair dryer for me. I try to go first thing in the morning when there are as few customers as possible.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I don't hesitate to tell anyone about my sensitivity to sound and everyone seems to respect it. Funny, I never expected that but people sometimes surprise me... in a good way.

5. Deniseh

Deniseh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly b12/folic acid deficiency and GERD
      @Vin

I’ve visited the hairdresser 3 times now since onset (August 2019). Full cut, blow dry with no plugs and never had any problems so far, I know it’s not the same as clippers but I sometimes feel the anxiety around the event cause a spike more than the event itself :p

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Vin

Vin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Thanks for responses!

• Like Like x 1