I Want to Meet New People. But How?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Watts, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Watts

Watts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Most of the social gatherings in society take place at work, school, or at bars and clubs. Most of these places are too loud for my ears. It sets a limit, not only to the places I can visit to enjoy myself, but especially my social live. My world is a small one. I think a lot of you will relate to this.

I got T and H when I was 18. Since then I've never been able to get back into a relationship or establish new friendships. Simply because most of the places where these new connections are established I can't visit. Or because the person I want to connect with simply doesn't want to limit themselves to the boundaries of my ears. I'm pushing 25 now.

The only two good friendships I have left are the ones I've met before my T and H developed. I try my best to keep these friendships alive but it's getting harder and harder. I see them grow as a person. Not limited by anything. They get steady jobs, get married, have a kid, get their own place. These are things I can no longer relate with. It sets an awkward pressure on our friendship and it pushes us away.

I guess the only option I got left is to meet people who also have T or H. People who can relate to the social boundaries we life in. But then I come to realize: How?

How can I establish new relations outside of societies standards? Is there a place where people with T or H get together, physically? And if there isn't, why hasn't such a platform been created yet?

I'd really like to know what your comments are on these matters.

(Just for the record. I live in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. If any of you feel you are in the same position as I am and live close by, then feel free to send me a PM if you want to chat or meet up.)

2. bper12

bper12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Dear Watts
      I live in the UK and if I Google Tinnitus support groups that bring up a list of groups within the UK, where you could meet fellow sufferers. maybe you could try this for your location.
      Regards

3. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Try outdoor activities. Swimming, trekking, weight lifting are fine to do with T. Check meetup.com.

4. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I'm interested in meeting people with tinnitus. Reason being,, no one i speak too seems to understand just how hard it is. I'm in my first week, so i'm hoping it will get easier.
      But i live in the UK. If we lived nearer i'd reccomend we meet up.
      I think i'm going to try and attend a tinnitus group soon, if there's one near me. Perhaps you should do the same.

5. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Not every bar and restuarant are
      Crazy loud!!! Bring ear plugs :)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Watts

Watts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      I've been unable to find any support groups in the Netherlands.

Are you Tom Braidwood? The actor that plays Frohike in The X-Files and The Lone Gunmen?

I wear earplugs when I absolutely have to, but I try to avoid them as much as possible. Whenever I speak with my earplugs in I hear the sound of my own voice vibrating in my ear, this vibration causes my tinnitus to raise temporarily.

7. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Here in the U.S., there are support groups in many areas of the country through the American Tinnitus Association. If you live in the U.S., you might try Googling the ATA and searching for a support group near you.

I also agree with the suggestion about meeting people through outdoor activities, etc. You'll be surprised at how many people out there have tinnitus (although many people have a much milder form of it than we do!). Once you meet people and start talking to them, you may find other folks that have tinnitus, too.

Also, staying positive and staying active are the best ways to combat your own tinnitus. You'll see --- getting outside yourself, volunteering, being active, etc., really does make a difference!

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Like Like x 3
    8. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      TT Singles Forum!

• Like Like x 2
    9. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      Here's the link to the ATA support group network:

http://www.ata.org/support#find

About the ATA support groups, I don't know how many are that active. But, in general, there seem to be several in every state. The groups include email contact information.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Theres probably 100's of people near you with T looking for some one to meet as well.

• Like Like x 1
    11. frohike
      Approved

frohike Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No, haha, just a fan. I'm not famous but I show up on google search easily enough, and I don't want any potential disability associated with me in case it harms my chance of employment.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Watts

Watts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Where can I find that?

13. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      WATTS :) try muso ear plugs 30$ from local music shop still hear everything without the thump

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Watts

Watts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Muso? Is that a brand name or the name of a specific type of ear plug?

I can't seem to find it. Could you give me a link?

15. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      Sorry mate musician ear plugs at your local music shop

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. Andrew_89

Andrew_89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2014
      They are 15 db but I find my h is only caused when I'm thinking about sound weird . But they work