I Was Around a Crying Baby for a Few Seconds. My Tinnitus Is Twice as Loud Now!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Linda_na, May 17, 2019.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linda_na

Linda_na Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One time noise exposure
      @Bill Bauer Have you had similar setbacks? What would you suggest?? Is there anything I can do to make this better?

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Unless the baby was right next to your ear when it cried, there is a very high chance that this spike is temporary.
      It makes sense to worry about a spike being permanent only if there is no fading after a month. For now, it is reasonable for you to tell yourself to not worry, as chances are it will begin fading soon.

You might want to take NAC. It is probably too late to take Prednisone. Also Prednisone can have serious side effects. Something like exposure to a gun shot or a fire alarm warrants taking Prednisone, but your noise exposure was probably not as bad.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Yes, countless times. All of them were terrifying at the time, and all had eventually faded. The longest one was the result of me pressing a loud phone to my bad ear (its volume stuck at Max), and the person on the other end of the line raising her voice to greet me. It had erased three months of healing (putting me back to square one), and had lasted for over three months.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linda_na

Linda_na Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One time noise exposure
      The baby was actually near me when he cried but it was only a few seconds. I really hope this is temporary :(
      so that spike eventually faded away?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linda_na

Linda_na Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One time noise exposure
      @Bill Bauer He wasn't right next to my ear tho. I was carrying him and he was actually quiet then suddenly started to cry with a loud voice. I went to urgent care 2 days later and got some methylprednisolone, took it for one day and I could barely walk the other day because my whole body was in pain. So I didnt take the second dose.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Where you holding the baby, so that his or her mouth was inches from your ear? In that case it is more serious, but there would still be a good chance that it would be temporary (it would be similar to that spike of mine involving a loud phone).
      Yes, it did. It had been raging for about a month, began fading after a month, and took another two months or so to completely fade.

7. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      You have mentioned that you hear popping and crackling sounds when swallowing or moving your jaw. Not sure if your spike continuing is completely from a baby crying as you also were using 15DB of ear protection. Interactions - jaw = stress = ear sensitivity = dehydration = lack of sleep. Magnesium glycinate may help for muscle relaxation. A thin mouth guard may be needed.

Taken from a how to lower a tinnitus spike site. Most similar sites say the same thing.
      • Dehydration – Dehydration is a fairly common trigger. A good rule of thumb is to divide your weight (measured in pounds) by 2. The result is the minimum number of ounces of water you should drink daily. So, a 160-pound man would need at least 80 ounces of water (10 cups) a day. (1 cup of water = 8 ounces)
      • Nicotine – Nicotine is a common tinnitus trigger.
      • Alcohol – Many people find alcohol to be a trigger as well. If possible, abstain until your tinnitus improves. Otherwise, reduce your alcohol consumption.
      • Food Sensitivities – Avoid all known food sensitivities until your tinnitus improves.
      • Allergies – When possible, avoid known allergens that affect you.
      • Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ) – If you have TMJ, make sure to wear your bite guard or dental appliance as directed until your tinnitus improves.
      • Some other benefits may be a light gentle massage on shoulders and lower back. Warm baths may help. Keep lips together when not eating, talking or brushing teeth.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linda_na

Linda_na Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One time noise exposure
      I would say the baby's head was 15 inches away from me while I was holding him. I regret it so much :(
      I am new to this and still figuring out the dangerous noises and sounds, but I guess I'm damaging myself more unknowingly.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linda_na

Linda_na Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One time noise exposure
      Thank you for your information. I know part of my T is caused by my anxiety and stress. I used to be a stressful person even before I got my T (You can imagine how stressed I am right now). I keep getting several panic attacks every day and I cant really help it. :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you Have to hold a baby, at least make sure that you have some ear protection. In a year or two you will likely become less vulnerable. But it makes sense to be more careful now...
      If you learn from your mistakes, you ought to be ok. Nobody is able to completely avoid being exposed to noises that cause spikes. All one can do is try to minimize the times when this happens. Lots of people experience their tinnitus fading, and all of them must have had those experiences of serious spikes following noise exposure. Tell yourself that the volume you are hearing now is likely Not the volume that you will be stuck with, try not to think about the future and try to not beat yourself up about the past.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linda_na

Linda_na Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One time noise exposure
      I never thought about how loud a baby’s cry was since it never bothered me before. I thought I was fine with the musician’s earplugs. But seems like I wasn’t. I am already tired of living this way. Don’t know how much more till I give up...

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      Yep.

Try tantruming toddlers, particularly girls who scream.

• Hug Hug x 1
    13. Yuri_ol
      Curious

Yuri_ol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I never thought about how loud people speaking can be and it can hurt my ear.

When I was into my second month of recovery, when my tinnitus was almost gone, loud speaking made my tinnitus in the right ear become louder.

• Hug Hug x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linda_na

Linda_na Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One time noise exposure
      Did it fade away?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Yuri_ol
      Curious

Yuri_ol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      No it's still here.

Also a door closed very loudly and now I have a feeling of warmth in my right ear.

16. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It has been about a month, right? If this is the case, there is still hope that it will go away.

17. Yuri_ol
      Curious

Yuri_ol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      27.03.2019 was... now T in louder in right ear
      when I take it again I didnt know that I need to protect ears/ doctors said do nothing and eat
      betahistine
      i feel left ear feel much better than right.

very bad post but it can be with everyone

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    18. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Hopefully you will find some of the info below to be helpful to you:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...eone-else-who-has-tinnitus.26850/#post-307822

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linda_na

Linda_na Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One time noise exposure
      My T volume is a little bit lower today. However, I had to do a group project with my classmates in a study room (not so quiet). I hope it won't have any effects.

I am losing my hope :(

20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If it were to have an effect, you would have felt it right away.
      Wonderful!
      You might want to carry foam earplugs (3M 1100 are great) with you everywhere you go.

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linda_na

Linda_na Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One time noise exposure
      Yea I guess!
      I just bought a box (200 pairs) of those. Thank you for your help.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I also bought that large box (I did so even before I got T two years ago). It seems to me that one can use those plugs more than once, (at least 10 times?) and they still seem to provide good (same as the one provided the first time one uses them?) noise reduction. I don't throw away the plastic pouch that each pair of earplugs comes in. When I take out a pair of plugs, I place it back into that pouch (to ensure that they are reasonably clean). This is something you could experiment with...

23. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Linda_na

Linda_na Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One time noise exposure
      I'll definitely try. The only problem is the orange color. I have some Hearos skin color earplugs that doesn't show very much. Don't like it when people stare at me as if I'm a hypocrite wearing ear plugs in regular places. But what can I do :/

• Hug Hug x 1