Idea: Using a Smartwatch at Night for Tinnitus Fluctuation Due to Sleep

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, May 3, 2020.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I found out recently that I have Dysautonomia. My blood pressure and heart rate fluctuate during the day based on my position, eating, temperature and various other factors. Maybe normal people have some of this but mine is more extreme than normal though not as bad as some people. Anyways, my heart rate can be much higher standing than when laying down. Sometimes when I lay down my heart is sometimes around 85 bpm, sometimes around 75 or sometimes around 65. I remember wearing an oximeter and being able to watch the heart rate as I almost drifted off to sleep and it was going down. Unfortunately, I cannot read my heart rate while I am sleeping but a smartwatch could and I could analyze it in the morning.

Unfortunately, I cannot read my heart rate while I am sleeping but a smartwatch could and I could analyze it in the morning. Here is why I think it may be able to help me identify the problem and may help a subset of other people identify the problem if they have tinnitus that can be loud or softer depending upon wakening:

Hormones such as adrenaline, epinephrine and norepinephrine cause the heart to beat faster. Anxiety also can increase these hormones and these hormones can also cause anxiety. I have a theory that when my heart rate is lower, there is less of these hormones going through my body and also when I fall asleep. I'm wondering if I can find some kind of correlation between high heart rate within a certain time from falling asleep and waking up with louder tinnitus. Basically, I am wondering if some of those hormones could be affecting tinnitus during sleep. It may be they are or aren't, I honestly don't know.

I also figured I also could use a sleep app on the watch and see if I can find anything out that way. What do you all think? Does anyone think this is a good idea? If anyone does it, could you report back?