If You Close Your Nose and Mouth and Swallow, Is the Inner Ear Pressure Even on Both Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by JasonP, Dec 30, 2017.

1. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      First off, don't do this if it isn't safe for you to do, but to those that are healthy, what happens when you close your nose and mouth and swallow?

Is the inner ear pressure more in one ear than the other or is it equal?

Does it take differrent number of amounts of swallowing to get each ear back to normal? (For example, one swallow opens up one ear but not both, etc.)

Please list the ears and state how many swallows it takes for each to depressurize.

Finally, state which ear normally has the loudest tinnitus in your everyday life.

I would love to get some data on this so if you can answer this, please do.

One other thing, please list how you got your tinnitus and if you wake up to different levels of volume after sleeping. :)

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      I'm embedding this video here to explain scientifically what is going on when an ear is "popped" and the pressure involved in case this helps anyone. The first minute of the video explains it.

Clogged Ear Due to Ear Infection or Eustachian...

3. AZmom
      Buzzed

AZmom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly caused by anti-inflammatory medicine
      Left & Right side has no pressure.
      Left side no pressure, right side seems like it has more pressure after doing the swallowing with nose and mouth closed.
      Swallowed twice and didn’t notice a change except Right feels muffled.
      Right side has more high pitched sound. Left side has low, less annoying pitch most days.
      Pitch is there almost 24/7. I have brief moments (30 seconds) where noise is quiet. Time of day doesn’t matter.
      I think I acquired T from 6 week course of Diclofenac for inflammation on my spine in June 2016.
      Going to ENT February 8, 2018.

4. Burnsie

Burnsie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      If I pop them I can get equal both sides.

Pinch and swallow and only the right one goes. I can get the left to go to if, at that point if I move my jaw too.

Right ear generally always feels fuller.

Had t for 2.5 years and the left is worse, but the right is annoying as it's high pitched

5. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      How do you feel now?