I'm Not Sure What Caused My Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Mario, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Mario
      Creative

Mario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2/2013
      Since last Tuesday, I've been really sick, can't walk, feel sick, everything, a cold, but one thing I noticed, I woke up that morning on Wednesday (5AM) and that's when I noticed a ringing in both my ears. Ever since then it's been ringing, virtually non stop, I've been to 2 doctors and my ears got checked and they were fine. I've been prescribed to some drugs, and my ears feel quite stuffed, unusual before Tuesday, and I just don't know what it is... Any advice or help

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario
      Creative

Mario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2/2013
      Anyone please help

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario
      Creative

Mario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2/2013
      Can anyone please help me, i am quite worried

4. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      You've seen two doctors, so that's good. One of them was probably an ENT (specialized in ear, nose, throat?)?

Regular doctors don't know nearly as much about ears as ENTs, so if you haven't been to an ENT, consider that.

I'm not a doctor and as far as I know none of the regular posters here are, so it's impossible for any of us to diagnose you. Remotely doing that would be tough even if there was a doctor here.

But there's a good chance the ringing is attributed to your cold, being sick. Your tinnitus is considered acute and will probably subside as soon as you get healthy.

What drugs were you prescribed?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario
      Creative

Mario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2/2013
      Nope one wasn't a ENT, I firstly visited my GP and then visited the hospital to see a ordinary doctor, but I honestly can't tell if it's chronic, because it's went on for six days and has rarely stopped. The drug the GP has prescribed me some erythromycin

6. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Tinnitus is generally considered chronic after 3, 6 or 12 months. (Tinnitus that has lasted less than 3 months isn't yet chronic.)

Six days isn't a long time.

It can take weeks to go away in situations like yours.

I looked up Erythromycin and at high doses it can cause hearing loss and/or tinnitus, but I guess you were prescribed erythromycin after the tinnitus started, not before. So there's no causal connection. Additionally the possible tinnitus / hearing loss due to erythromycin should resolve after treatment is stopped. http://www.amjmed.com/article/0002-9343(92)90016-5/abstract
      https://www.google.com/search?q=erythromycin ototoxicity

So all that in mind I'd think your tinnitus might be caused by sinusitis ("The symptoms of acute sinusitis in adults usually follow a cold that does not improve, or one that gets worse after 5 - 7 days of symptoms.")

You were prescribed antibiotics, they are sometimes prescribed for sinusitis (although it's usually viral). Also decongestants might make you feel better. Try them. Ask your pharmacist for the best one.

I'd expect your tinnitus to resolve soon after your system gets rid of the cold.

If not, I'd urge you to make an appointment with an ENT (you could go see an ENT right now if you wanted, the symptoms would warrant it) and also have your hearing tested by the means of an audiogram.

Do remember that tinnitus can become a permanent phenomenon. If and hopefully as expected when the tinnitus subsides in this case, you need to take care of your hearing. Always wear earplugs to loud places, concerts, clubs, and other loud environments. Do not listen to music at loud volumes, noise damage can be cumulative. Also remember that some drugs can be ototoxic and in the worst case scenario cause permanent tinnitus and hearing loss, so if you are prescribed a new medicine, it's worth a google search to find out about the possible risks. There are almost an unlimited amount of "ototoxic" drugs out there, but most of them cause tinnitus only for a really small minority, and even then then effect is often temporary: lasts until the drug is stopped. However, there are truly bad drugs for ears out there, like Cisplatin and Carboplatin, hopefully you don't need those in your lifetime. The point here is that it's always wise to research what drugs you are prescribed and not blindly trust the doctor.

I'd appreciate if you visited us after you are feeling better, and updated us whether the tinnitus also went away. Many people like you come here, and never give an update again later, which of course oftentimes means they are no longer afflicted by tinnitus (it has gone away, or they've habituated...)

Best of luck to you and take care of your hearing, always. :)

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario
      Creative

Mario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2/2013
      I already had ringing in my ears before I had taken any tablets...

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Mario
      Creative

Mario Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/2/2013
      But thanks, I really hope it's not chronic

9. Fish
      Balanced

Fish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2012
      You say that your ears feel quite stuffed. Did your hearing get worse? If yes then perhaps you should visit an ENT doctor and perform a hearing test to rule out if there is nothing more serious going on (sudden hearing loss).

But, to calm you down - most likely your tinnitus will go away as soon as you get rid of your cold. When your sinuses and inner ear are congested, it might cause you to hear tinnitus that resolves once you get better.