Improvement Over Time After Noise-Induced Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nick the Swede, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Mine is 5 month old and has improved over the last 2-3 months. Lower in volume and higher in pitch. Still a bit annoying i must admit. What do you veterans with noise induceed T think, can i hope for further improvent over the coming year or shall i just be happy and go on?
      I know it´s a very tricky question.

2. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      HiNick glad to hear you say the magic word improved in past couple months.maybe that will be helping you in the long run especially as your doing better since yours began,not many say that,so you hang in there.,you may just be able to ignore it quicker to.Think of it that way.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick the Swede
      Conehead

Nick the Swede Member

Thanks Marlene!
      The strange thing that your mind does with you is that your tolerance level changes as well. Have around 2 Days a week with almost silence, (have to be in silence to hear it during these 2 days). When a little louder day appears i still having problem taking the change to the worser. With this said i really do appreciate the low days when they come but i guess it´s a part of the journey to be able to take on the higher days without the reaction i still have.

4. Marlene
      English

Marlene Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bacterial virus
      Here we go with tinnitus Nick ,mine I detest when low and again when high,always a right pain,few of us on TT with my type.when it's middling as I call it I have a day I can to a better degree ignore it. Strange hey.Make the most of your days when low you will learn to maybe ignore it when somewhat higher in tone.think you maybe will be one who can do just that.Before the internet I had nowhere to turn to get good advice as to what to try like coping skills, my husbands got tinnitus but his is totally different than mine.now I'm on this site so much information ,wish it was available when I first got it. Just the chance to talking to others with it,would have been such a benefit to me back then.I agree ones tolerance levels do vary with it daily,which in turn doesn't help any of us with this condition.
      Take it one day at a time,deal only the day your in that helps Nick God bless .

5. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      What caused your tinnitus? Do you know?
      I remember when i was fourteen or fifteen year old we fired a few rounds with shotgun. No hearing protections, needless to say.
      Both my ears rang loudly for a couple of days, it was amazingly loud noise at the time But it disappeared totally.

This was perhaps 5-6 years before my tinnitus really started. I have to admit i sometimes wonder if those shotgun rounds had any affect to my current T. I havent heard "the sound of silence" for some 20 years (cannot really remember when my T started). I miss the silence and the same time i really cant remember what it was like.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick the Swede
      Conehead

Nick the Swede Member

Mine was caused by my loved dog. A Flatcoated retriever who barked by accident right into my ear when we played. Sounds silly but i had muffled hearing for a day after and then the T started. Measured his bark to around 100dbs so it´s enough when you get so close like i did.

7. MichaelM
      Chatty

MichaelM Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mild since ´90 ´s. severe ->2013 on
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere´s Disease/acoustic trauma?
      I have a dog too. Small spitz-type lady, she has helped me a lot with my ear problems during the years. Dogs are great therapy for a man, i think. I drive a car almost every day, my dog is in the back seat and barks next to my ear to other dogs so i know exactly what you mean.

I have often heard stories that one impulse of loud noise (explosion, firing a gun...) is said to have caused permanent tinnitus. hopefully your T fades away for good because there are success stories too with noise-induced tinnitus´.

hoppas att du blir frisk på nolltid, as they say in Sweden.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nick the Swede
      Conehead

Nick the Swede Member

Tack så mycket!