Insomnia/Sleep Problems Before Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by martin12, Sep 12, 2014.

1. martin12

martin12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/13/2014
      Wondering if anyone on this board had sleep issues/insomnia prior to there onset of Tinnitus?

I'm seeing if there might be a link between the two. As in lack of sleep igniting Tinnitus.

Thanks.

2. rtwombly
      Bookworm

rtwombly Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I was a poor sleeper, partially by habit and partially due to insomnia. Don't think it helped, certainly.

3. AntonR
      Balanced

AntonR Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      I use to always have trouble going to bed, I wouldn't particularly diagnose myself as an insomniac, but most nights I'd toss and turn for 2-3 hours before shutting off.

I use to find relief in marijuana, smoke an hour before bed, lay down to watch tv and I'd doze off within 30-45 minutes without even noticing, and I'd sleep through the night like a baby. Thats obviously no longer an option since it spikes T like crazy..

To my surprise, I've been able to fall asleep quite decently without it for the past couple of weeks, I definitely don't sleep like a baby anymore. I usually wake up after about 5-6 hours of sleep and then cat nap for the last 2-3 hours. I'm happy that I'm at least still getting a decent amount of sleep.

4. eldudebro
      Doh

eldudebro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      31/07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma/Loud Music.
      I never had any trouble with sleep. Got my routine 8 hours without fail.
      Different story now though. Think the longest unbroken sleep i've had in 6 weeks is around 5 hours.

Hoping the sleep returns as I accept the T and calm down a bit....

5. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      I had serious sleep issues prior to my tinnitus. Still don't know exactly what caused the insomnia. But my docs speculate it may in part be due to an area of brain death following my cerebral hemorrhage and stroke in 1999. My sleeplessness started shortly after that.

My neurological issues nor my insomnia, however, caused my tinnitus. Barotrauma that happened during a long airplane flight did. However, oddly, it may be those same dead neurons from 1999 that may be making it hard for me to habituate. But again, no way to tell.

One other thing: Some people believe ongoing anxiety issues can predispose some people to tinnitus. And there is a definite link between anxiety and insomnia. How this all plays into the equation, again, is unsure.

6. kaycee
      Doubtful

kaycee Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      I did not have issues sleeping other than my boyfriend snoring. But ever since I had an issue with prednisone and T come...I've had the hardest time sleeping. I've had 2 days so far that were decent without sleeping aids or masking. Have you slept any better? What are you doing to help your insomnia and t?

7. Mave

Mave Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1984
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had lifelong insomnia, and it is a most disabling combination. I am awake all night tonight, with the Tinnitus being higher, irregular pitch. I am sure the two are connected.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Danig

Danig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I suffered from insomnia (the kind that wakes you up in the middle of the night) for nearly one year before I developed my tinnitus. Are both things related? I don't know. If so, it might be that one thing ignited (or contributed to) the other, or it might also be that both things have a common underlying cause.

9. Dale1234

Dale1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety insomnia
      How did you fix your insomnia? I have exactly the same problem

10. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      This book really seems to have helped me https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/31577137-the-sleep-solution - the book highlights the fact that people still sleep even if they think they are not sleeping - if I find myself awake in the middle of the night I now just lie there rather than worrying about not being asleep - the chances are that I will go to sleep before too long as it's the worry that keeps people awake.

• Like Like x 1