Introduction New Member

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ari-atari, Oct 18, 2015.

1. ari-atari

ari-atari Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing impairment
      My name is Arianne, from the Netherlands and I have been suffering from tinnitus for over 40 years. I am also hearing impaired, and as my hearing has been getting worse over the years, my T has been getting worse too. Especially when I'm not wearing my hearing aids (f.i. in the night) the "inside noise" is much louder than the "outside noise". My average loss of hearing is between 70-80 dB.

The first 40 years of my T there were two noises, one so-called brown noise and one noise that is more of a beep, around 4000 Hz. Loudness currently around 80-85 dB. Since this summer I also have a third noise, lower in frequency, around 2000 Hz, same loudness. All noises are continuously present, though louder when I have had a very busy or noisy day.

At the moment I am still working fulltime, but this is getting more difficult. My job is rather demanding in communication, lots of meetings, and since one year we are using a new office, in which I do not have a room alone, but have to share a very large place with 30 others. Not so good for me. The company doctor had ordered adjustments, but apparently that takes some time :-(

I have four grown-up kids, a husband, two border terriers and a sailing boat. To be able to stay sane I have my hobbies: walking with the dogs, sailing, knitting, and wool spinning. Or a combination of those ;-)
      Happily I am a rather relaxed person, and I often think this probably is why I am coping OK. But I am looking forward to relating with this forum, of which I recently read in a Dutch magazine.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      You are a strong person, for enduring what you have, for so many years. My Mom has had T for around the same amount of years and my Brother and Sister have had it over 30 years! I seem to be the unfortunate one, still struggling after only 18 months.

Nice boat! I also enjoy sailing and being on the water. I windsurf now, but have been an active catamaran racer and small boat sailor/racer for years.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ari-atari

ari-atari Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-1974
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing impairment
      Thanks! I used to do windsurfing as well. I love being on the water; it helps me to relax.
      About the struggle you have with your T: One of my sons, he is almost 30 now, has T as well. He seems to suffer a lot more than I do. I have been thinking about some explanation. For one my T started when I was around 15 and gradually, over 40 years, the same noise got louder. For my son this was different. For him it suddenly was there after a blow on his ear, when he was working out boxing. And secondly he has a sort of loud beep, like one of these circlesaws. Not always the same noise though, so getting used to it is more difficult, I think.
      Also having hearing aids most certainly helps. Even when you don't have one of these T maskers built in. Are you or your family also hearing impaired, or do you just have the T?