Irregular Idling Engine / Roaring Tinnitus Sound Driving Me Nuts — Anyone Else?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cool breeze, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Cool breeze

Cool breeze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have an idling engine/roaring type of tinnitus noise that drives me nuts. If it was constant, I’m sure I could habituate to it like all the other people here.

I also have continuous tones, but this idling/roaring sound stays on for 6 seconds, then off for 3 seconds, then on for 4 seconds, then off for 2, and so on.

Anyone else experience this? Can I get used to this?

It's like getting poked on and off. So annoying. I’d rather it stay constant if that makes any sense.

2. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I know that noise / sensation.

Best thing to do is to put it on ignore. Easier said than done. You have achieved this with your other sounds.

I'm having to work on rehabituating again.

Following the advice of someone I trust, I am attempting to only speak of my tinnitus in positive ways. I am treating my tinnitus as an entity. At the moment, it has progressed from enemy status to an acquaintance.

I am trusting my brain's ability to rewire itself, even though, it is challenging.

In the meantime, I am focusing on positive distractions, positive thoughts, etc...

When it is particularly intrusive, this is when I get very busy, and just let be what is...

There is research... I hold that as a plan B.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cool breeze

Cool breeze Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey thanks,

You are right. I guess I’m going to have to make friends with it, and I’ve realised it sounds more like a muffled subwoofer of a car where you can just hear the base at traffic lights, so I’ll imagine I’m back in the day as a teen... on a sunny day by some lights, thinking those guys with their caps the wrong way round in there banged up, with Kenwood labelled dark windows and shell suits are so dumb... whilst their exhausts idle and bang.,.. I’ll imagine myself sitting pretty being classy in my Ford Capri lol

Positive imagery and I’ll make peace loooool.

Thanks for the sprinkle of positivity, appreciate it!