Is It Me, or Is It Me? Tinnitus Seems More Intense, Not Sure If It's Actually Louder

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joshua, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Joshua

Joshua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Anybody else have this - For the last 4 days or so it seems like my T is more intense, but I can't really say or not whether it's gotten any louder. I've been habituating more or less ok ever since the original panic when it started. Then suddenly in the middle of the day last week, I had the sensation that it's suddenly become more noticeable, again.(I've had T since March 2015).

"Intense" seems to be the only description that fits, or I could also say I am suddenly sensitive to the T, again, after a couple of months of being able to almost completely ignore it or cope with it.

The T since March has primarily been the bell-ringing/chirping crickets sound, which I find tolerable compared to the high-pitched mechanical whistle that I also tend to hear (barometric pressure's my enemy). This still seems to be the case, I just seem to be noticing it a lot more. Tonight was the first time in a long while where it's keeping me from sleeping.

I want to think it's just a sign that I'm overtired, or some sort of mild, but noticeable, spike. I'm still able to function normally, when I get absorbed in what I'm doing I don't notice it at all (or much), so I'm really confused whether I'm just imagining this or not.

In the back of my head is the fear that it's getting worse and will continue to do so over time. I'm not panicking, yet, but preparing to call my GP to renew my xanax prescription, just in case, I really, really don't want to go back to where I was when this all first started...

2. Evian

Evian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Maybe it is just anxiety that is making it seem more intense.

Sounds like you were habituation well, it's natural to panic I do as I have loud intrusive hissing that I monitor all the time and am not habituated to.

Maybe stay off forums and just carry on the way you were as it sounds like you were doing OK so should do again

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joshua

Joshua Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who knows?
      Thanks, @Evian . Yeah, I was staying away from this forum for a while because I was better off not doing anything to remind me of my T. I'm still trying to not let it get to me, despite the intensity. I am just so confused as to whether this is a spike or just a period of physical exhaustion.

I'd be interested to know if you or others have experienced this, maybe it is simply part of the habituation process to sometimes have setbacks, even in the absence of a genuine spike.

4. Revolrex33

Revolrex33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      I had onset of T Sept of last year. I habituated without any help or doctors. They have me Lorazepam but all the neg stories about it I used only for a couple weeks. So driving up to Pennsylvania from North Carolina my T went off the charts. Now 10 days later it is quite loud and not used to a 10 day relentless spike. It is such a devil because you think you've coped it out and habituated and then it unleashes this high high 15K pitch. Has anyone have it in one ear and then the other ear will fire off T for a few seconds then go away. I'm afraid my other ear is going and having troubles deciphering which ear is loudest. I used to be able to press my ear on the pillow to hear which one was doing it. I may end up taking Lorazepam just do curb the anxiety.

5. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Tinnitus louder is definitely a sign of fatigue or lack of sleep. I just got back from traveling and the past 2 days my T was blaring. Got to rest last night and it is low today