Is It Possible to Figure Out How Loud Your Tinnitus Is at Home?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Geoffman, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Geoffman

Geoffman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Forever?
      Is it possible to figure out how loud your tinnitus is at home? Or is it only possible at an ENT?
      I am just wondering about dB - NOT the frequency.. I'd really like to find out how bad mine is compared to others.. Thanks

2. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids
      Geoffman
      My audiologist estimated mine. Doing it at home might not be very accurate (for many reasons) but none less than the fact you will need to concentrate on your T while turning up some type of white noise; concentrating on it will surely make make your perception (of it) louder.

I think it best to not worry about how loud it is and work on not reacting to it.

Mark

3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's not really a noise per se, so the whole concept of "loudness" is pretty bizarre. Usually people just mean minimum masking level, but that has a lot more to do with how good your hearing is, than anything else. (Meaning that if you have two people who both have "20 db" tinnitus, but one of them has a perfect 0 db hearing threshold and the other one has 40 db of hearing loss, the first person will match at 20 db and the other person will match at 60 db, even though the "volume" is the same). Moral of the story for me is "protect the hearing you've got left and don't fret about the rest".

• Like Like x 1