Is It Possible to Treat Eustachian Tube Dysfunction with Botox?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Sassa, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Sassa

Sassa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bruxism/Tense muscles/ Eustachian Tube Dysfunction
      So my tinnitus is due to TMD that caused my ears to constantly feel clogged and never ever opens.
      They crackle at times and when I massage around the ears it is like a sticky sensation in them. When I'm outside walking and the wind blows it's like hearing through a seashell. Only a tiny bit of air comes in.

Early when I got tinnitus my ears would sometimes "open" and the tinnitus would go completely silent.

I am getting really good help for my TMD and can now sleep without a night guard.

But muscles takes time to heal and for the swelling/triggerpoints to go away... even if they have gone down quite a lot!

But my ears are still so closed... and the tinnitus is still there.
      I also have muscle spasms in my ears who I can hear if I put my hands over my ears.

So I'm wondering if anybody know if it's possible to inject botox in certain muscles near the eustachian tube to take down the swelling of the muscles who I assume are causing the blockage?

And if it's possible, which muscles should be treated with botox?

If anyone have any experience with this, success stories, side effects etc - I'm thankful for any info!

2. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Did you try the botox? How did it go?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sassa

Sassa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello Juan! I never tried botox for the eustachian tube dysfunction but I am currently under treatment for a possible disc issue in my left joint. Since the TMJ is so close to the ear canal and it's not in a proper position its causing swelling in my ears.
      My left TMJ is not functioning properly and it is causing the right one also to be affected and not being able to function correctly.
      So I'm eating Arcoxia right now to treat the inflammation for 2 weeks and then I'll get a supporting splint and an MRI of both joints to see exactly what's going on in there.
      Do you also suffer from clogged ears and tinnitus? If so, did you find any relief?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Sassa

Sassa Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In late 2016 or 2017 somewhere around then I did have botox injections in an attempt to stop bruxism (which is the diagnosis the regular dentists gave me as they were not educated on TMJ/TMD problems or occlusion problems which is what I had which caused me to clench my jaw EXTREMELY at night).
      So I tried botox in the muscles typically to treat bruxism in my jaw and yes, the tinnitus was lower but the muscles that were not paralysed by the botox compromised and went into spasm instead. So.. the botox for me was unfortunately not a solution since my problem was not solved. And the tinnitus did'nt go completely silent with botox in the muscles I got botox in but yes a temporary lowering of it.
      I think it depends on where the root of the problem is. Botox might be a solution for some but for me It was not the answer.
      On the bright side as I am digging deeper and deeper and finding the right treatment my hearing is improving slowly. Before I could not even sit at the same table as my family while they were eating because the sound of the cutlery against the plate was more than unbearable.