Is It True That a Sudden Loud Sound Can Make Some People's Tinnitus Go Away?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ilija, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Don't get me wrong I'm not going to take a pistol and fire it next to my ears LOL.
      I was just wondering what do you think happens?
      I have read a couple of stories where people had Tinnitus and then the experienced a sudden loud noise dog bark,gunshot or something like that and it went away.
      Any thoughts? I've been thinking about this sort of stuff lately, again not desperately looking for a cure my Tinnitus is improving and I have a rather good chance of it going away one day or I'll just habituate and not care.
      I've just always been thinking about stuff like this well theories and stuff.
      Also I've had a stupid idea, I'm not sure what if we knew how to restart the brain? like literally shut it off and on again-PC nerd joke.
      I think if it were possible we could test it on a mouse and see what happens, my stupid theory is if the brain was to be shut off for a second and then started back up that would maybe cause the overworking neurons to return to normal?
      I don't know I just like thinking about this.
      But back to reality what do you think happened inside those peoples heads when the gunshot removed their Tinnitus?

2. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      LOL.. I don't think even if the few cases were true I would want to try firing a gun next to my ear.
      99.9999999% it will make my Tinnitus worse.
      For those people whose Tinnitus went away after a loud sound, its possible it was coincidence and the T would have gone away regardless of the loud sound.

as for the brain, you don't need to shut down the whole thing. Most likely restart the auditory areas of your brain. Who knows if we are even close to all that research.
      I think eventually we will have medications that can target specific auditory areas of the brain and make them healthy again. Perhaps in 10-20 years???

3. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I think that 10 years there will be effective treatments. I think aut00063 will do something.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      To me, this is like saying dosing someone with gasoline and lighting them on fire makes a sunburn go away... it's just not going to happen. I definitely wouldn't want to try it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      I would like to see documented cases in peer-reviewed papers before I attribute any weight to such stories.

My first impression is that such a treatment would be all harm and no good.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Just seems weird to me lol.

• Like Like x 1
    7. nogood
      Procrastinating

nogood Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity/infection
      Good old trick..If something doesn't work give it a good kick..lucky few for whome that trick worked...

8. Carloflogical
      Buzzed

Carloflogical Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2013
      Pmsl at this thread.

Reminds me of when I ring up my help desk at work when I have problems with my computer,
      They ask questions like. Is it switched On!!!!!.

I wouldn't want to restart my brain because

1) I haven't got many brain cells left.
      2)I might wake up with amnesia and probably wouldn't recognise anyone.(that would be scary):oldman:.lol