Is Jaw Clenching the Cause of My Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Soep, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Soep

Soep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      maybe stress
      Today I had an appointment with a physiotherapist. He (and my ENT) said that I am jaw clenching a lot for years.

I also have some tension in my neck but not so much that it can be the cause of my tinnitus.

He gave me some exercises and I will have more appointments for my jaw and neck.

I have tinnitus in my right ear since April 2016.

Are there people who also have problems with their jaw?

I hope my tinnitus will be less loud or disappear after this treatment or is this false hope?

2. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      Yes it could very well be caused by jaw clenching. The Masseter and lateral pterygoid can cause Tinnitus if there are triggerpoints in those muscles. Triggerpoints usually develop if the muscles are tense. Do you have earpain?

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Soep

Soep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      maybe stress
      No i don't have earpain but when i yawn, t gets louder, when i eat t is less loud and when i turn my neck to the right i get another noise sometimes with the t I already have. And (i don't know if this is correct english) when i have difficulty passing stools t gets louder. I know its sounds stupid :(

4. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      For me the tone also changes when i turn my neck or when i touch my face even. I have a feeling your T is muscle related. Maybe try Jaw physiotherapy or a splint to wear during the night to prevent teeth grinding. Does you jaw feel tense at all or is it just your neck that hurts?

5. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It could be caused by that. I have somatic elements to my T as well. If I open my mouth wide for example, my T goes insane.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Soep

Soep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      maybe stress
      My jaw and neck are a littebit tensed espessially when i do my exsercises. But I also sport sporadicly and i am sitting on the couch a lot with a laptop.

I follow an intensive tinnitus therapy with cbt, mindfulness and relaxations excersises. One of the most important excercises is that you expose yourself to the noise so that your brain will learn the noise is not important anymore and that your anxiety and frustration will settle down. But i still find it very difficult tot deal with the loud noise. I am very anxious and frustrated.

My hope is that the noise will be less intruisive when i can relax my neck and espessially my jaw. Are there more people who have succes with a treatment for jaw clenching? Totday i also had a CT scan. Next week i get the results.

7. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      I have alot of succes with a night guard , soft food and deep massaging my jaw muscles every day. Today i'm having a very quiet T day.

I also did dry needling last week and that also helped alot.

Also try to keep a good posture, especially when your on the couch with your laptop.

8. Riya

Riya Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere disease
      Hi @Carlyi could you please share what type of exercise you do on your jaw. I have one ear T due to TMJ and the other due to MD. Drugs are helping for the MD ear but not for the one due to TMJ. Also mine is a constant low pitched tone that never increases or decreases or goes away. Does that stay constant? Or will it go away with therapy?

Thanks!

9. Carlyi
      Blah

Carlyi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      I don't really do any excersises. I massage my jaw and have dry needling done on my jaw. Maybe the link below can help you: http://www.triggerpoints.net/symptom/earaches-tinnitus-ringing-itch

Those muscles can cause Tinnitus. By treating them you may have a change of your Tinnitus to go away.
      This does'nt apply to the ear that has been affected by MD

10. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      CT scans of my nose, airways, mouth, jaw, teeth, TMJs and neck showed my cause of somatic tinnitus which I posted today. My mandibular incisive or inferior alveolar canal was violated from a front lower implant.
      So several problems with sternocleidomastoid, masseter, lateral pterygold and medial pterygold are also present. Neck and jaw hurts, and headaches. I can only use cold packs on my jaw. However my neck has no violations. My sinuses are also fine. My spine showed problems, but I had ruptured my C5, so I knew that the median atlanto-axial joint space was reduced.

• Informative Informative x 1