Is My Tinnitus Spike Sickness or Noise Exposure Related? Is the Spike Temporary or Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Kritish Gooriah, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Kritish Gooriah
      Buzzed

Kritish Gooriah Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ear surgery acoustic trauma tmj ETD
      Hi,

For a few weeks, my tinnitus and my hearing have been fluctuating.

I have had many health problems (rhinitis, sore throat, TMJ and ear pain, respiratory problems, sinusitis, sleeping problems, anxiety) over the last few weeks.

According to my doctor, it isn't a noise exposure spike, but it is a sickness spike.

But I don't know. The onset of the spike began after noise exposure (family reunion and a going away party (I wore molded earplugs at this party) and a few days before, I had rhinitis for the first time, and the second time, a few days later (2 or 3), I had sore throat.

I have noted moments with low tinnitus and a better hearing, in this period.

What do you think please? Is it a sickness related spike or a a noise exposure related spike? Is it temporary or permanent?

2. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      The truth is nobody knows. I'd bet on it being a sickness spike. I'm going through my second spike in a few months. On Friday my already loud t went up in volume, and started in my right ear too. I'm too hoping it's temporary. Good luck. And I'm sure it will get better when you do.
      And buy a netti pot. I had rhinitis for the best part of a year. Netti pots work and they are cheap.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Nobody knows, but I bet it was due to you attending that reunion and that party.

Temporary spikes can last for a surprisingly long time. It makes sense to suspect that the spike is permanent only if there is no improvement in over three months.