Is the Tinnitus in My Head or Ears?

Discussion in 'Support' started by newbieT, Nov 21, 2017.

?

Can you tell which ear your tinnitus coming from?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Both ears

4. Sounds like it's coming from my head

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I've never been able to figure out which ear my tinnitus is coming from or if it's from a ear at all. Is there a way to test which ear it's coming from?

Also to the people that can tell which ear it's coming from. Is it obvious? Like any other sound going in 1 ear?

2. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      Mine is definitely coming from my right ear. It is usually obvious. When it got really bad (back in August/September), sometimes it would seem like it was originating from inside of my head, but if I covered my right ear with my hand then it would always move and seem like it was coming from inside of my right ear canal. (If I covered my left ear, nothing would happen.)

Tinnitus is strange, everyone's is different, and it is not uncommon to have it seem to be coming from the head instead of from the ear(s).

3. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      You could likely test it by having your hearing checked. I have hearing loss in my right ear, but even before my first audiogram it was obvious the ringing was coming from the right.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I did a audiogram and both ears were within the normal margins up to 8khz.
      Theres a online high frequency hearing test and I could hear up to 16khz with my left ear but only 15khz with right ear. So its possible thats the bad ear

5. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Mine is in my head sometimes on top and I can feel it, now it's in my neck but it will float to my left it also changes sound, so T. Always keeps me aware. Five months in no change and all test normal.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Have you tried wearing Peltor muffs or ear plugs and then trying to figure out the ear with T?

I used to have T only in one ear. Initially my good ear was a bit of a curse, as I could always know the peace that I had lost - know what I Could have been hearing right now. I had experienced "head T" on several occasions. One time I drank some alcohol, and my T switched ears. Most recently, I began hearing a second (louder) tone in my formerly good ear...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Some loss at 16hz is not unusual, but online tests are not the most accurate. Some audiologists do higher frequency testing if you truly want to check it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I forgot to mention that currently I also have a very slight "head T" that is like a quiet echo of the sound I can hear in my bad ear.

9. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      I definitely know my T is coming from both of my ears. I have hearing loss that isn't seen on my audio gram. Hidden? Perhaps. However, I can tell where my T is coming from.

What is it like to have T in your head? Do let me know. That idea scares me even though I already have T.

Do let me know if any of you guys have T that is in your head. What's the sensation? Is it maskable? Any possible cause?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is difficult to describe. It is like a background buzz that you can feel in your head and that is not coming from your ears. Let's hope you never experience it (or only experience it just before your T stops for good).

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I would like to know as well. Is there a difference between T coming from both ears and coming from your head? How can you tell the difference.

I read our brain detect where sound is coming from by the slight time delay between sound reaching one ear to the other. But if there is no actual sound. How does the brain know where its coming from? :dunno:

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is possible that when T gets quiet enough, you can still sense it, but you lose the ability to tell what ear it is coming from, and even lose the ability to hear it in your ears. Perhaps for some people "head T" is just T being too quiet to actually hear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. Screamin Ears
      Crappy

Screamin Ears Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Block one ear and if there is tinnitus in that ear it will get louder or atleast become more noticable.
      Yes very obvious, i have it in both ears and in the head, but i can allways tell if one ear is louder than the other.
      That means nothing, you can have a small change that looks like nothing on an audiogram but it can still be enough to cause tinnitus in some people.
      It sucks balls.
      Just a high pitched electrical buzzing, mine is around the same pitch as my ear tinnitus. No mine is not maskable. I was told that the more perfectly matched your tinnitus is in both ears the more likely you are to percieve it as being in your head.
      I don't have T in my head all the time it usualy seems to go in a 2day on 2 day off cycle, and it starts when the T is at it's loudest in my ears, it's almost as if it gets too loud for the ears and moves into the head.
      The above relates to my experience only and is in no way intended to imply other people don't experience it differently, and it also does not mean that you will ever get it so don't worry about it unless it happens which it probably wont.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. SilverSpiral
      Sad

SilverSpiral Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ACOUSTIC TRAUMA
      for me it's the ears, since mine is asymmetricalbetween ears as far as constant tinnitus tones is concerned. Having bilateral asymmetrical tinnitus makes it clear it is coming from the ears for me.

15. Aaron44126
      Balanced

Aaron44126 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Eustachian tube dysfunction (from infection / labyrinthitis)
      It's very strange... I had this a lot earlier on when my tinnitus was very intense (August/September), but it didn't bother me more than it did when it was coming from my ear. It just seems like the ringing sound isn't coming from outside of your body, or from inside of your ear somewhere, but rather is actually originating from inside your brain. For me it always seemed like it was coming from the upper back part of my head. It might be difficult to imagine if you've never had it happen, but if it ever does happen to you then I'm sure you'll understand right away...

It makes sense to me that "identical" sounding tinnitus from both ears might make it seem like it is coming from your head instead, but my tinnitus has always been right ear only. I think when it got very intense then it was more clear that it was a brain problem and not an ear problem and my mind shifted the apparent source of the sound. Who knows, though.

For me, it was maskable just as well as when it was coming from my ears, certain sounds (like crickets or running water) shut it right off.

• Agree Agree x 1