Is This Buzzing Sensation a Sort of Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Mpt, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Mpt

Mpt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Hi Dr Nagler,

Starting yesterday afternoon I have been getting a buzzing sensation in my head above my left (previously silent) ear--- is this sort of phenomenon "tinnitus", and is it something you have heard of happening to other patients. Its completely different in nature than the ringing I have in my other ear; it is more of a feeling than a sound. I have been doing really well the past week and have not been noticing my tinnitus during the day much at all, which is why this upsets me because I just thought I was turning the corner.

Thanks for your help,
      Matt

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Hi Matt -

Tinnitus is, above all else, a sound. So whatever this buzzing sensation is, it isn't tinnitus.

That said, it is not at all uncommon for tinnitus sufferers to become consciously and subconsciously hypervigilant regarding all head and neck sensations. So a variety of totally benign phenomena that would ordinarily have slipped by under the radar can become apparent to tinnitus sufferers - and once apparent can really grab their attention.

If the buzzing sensation is pulsating, like your heartbeat, my suggestion would be to have it checked out by your ENT or a neurologist if it persists more than a couple of days - just to be on the safe side. If it is not pulsating, give it a week or two before pursuing it. Likely it will resolve on its own.

Please remember, though, that I'm just giving this my best shot and going with educated guesses. If you are at all concerned, you are always better off running it by your own doctor, who knows you far better than I.

Matt, let me add it one word about your reference to "turning the corner." Progress with intrusive tinnitus is invariably a bumpy road. You need to expect setbacks. We are humans, not machines. OK, OK. I'm a machine, but the rest of you are human! :)

All the best -

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 1