Is This Hyperacusis? Please Help Me

Discussion in 'Support' started by kiel, Mar 31, 2015.

1. kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      I made a thread in the other support forum, but no one answered me. I had a terrible cold (worst in my life) for almost a month, and now my Tinnitus has changed. I've had ringing and hissing in my ears for longer than I remember, but now, I'm not really sure how to describe it. My ears are sensitive to loud, shrill noise, and the sounds are distorted. That's the best way I can explain it. It's like beeps being overlaid on normal sounds. On top of that, I've got a wierd fluttering feeling in my ears from sound as well. I'm absolutely terrified, and my appointment with the ENT is weeks away. Please, has anyone had something similar happen to them. Is this the start of Hyperacusis? Something worse? I'm so scared. Can anyone help me, or tell me what's going on?

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      No one has had anything similar happen to them? I feel so alone and miserable right now. If this is Hyperacusis, I really have no idea how to deal with it. I'm so afraid of loud noises now, and I've pretty much just shut myself away for the past week that I've been dealing with this. Does it ever go away?

3. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      A bad enough cold can leave traces of inflammation lasting weeks to a few months. The hearing intolerance you describe sounds very like what lots of us experience.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      So it's not Hyperacusis then? It'll probably go away after awhile? If that's the case, then that's a huge relief for me. Thank you.

5. It sounds like hyperacusis, TTS and or maybe reactive Tinnitus with the beep overlay on sounds. I've had it all.

I also have either allergies or a very long lasting cold that won't abate and my symptoms are much worse. Hopefully it lessens for you (and me) soon :)

6. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
    7. Kaelon
      Wishful

Kaelon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Muscle Spasms
      @kiel - What you describe absolutely sounds like Hyperacusis, yes. Fortunately, hyperacusis waxes and wanes, and for most people who suffer from it, it eventually goes away (and the body and brain eventually become more tolerant).

Don't be scared. Hyperacusis is a common phenomenon -- even people without tinnitus experience it from time to time. Those of us who have tinnitus will also experience hyperacusis periodically in our lives, but eventually it comes on only in moments of extreme acute crisis (like a cold, severe inflammation, etc.). It almost always goes away for most hyperacusis sufferers.

You can accelerate the healing process, I have found personally, by protecting your hearing and listening to music and television at lower volumes, so as not to exacerbate the agony. In a few days, you should notice an improvement.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      kiel
      Depressed

kiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Headphones
      Thanks, everyone. I really appreciate all the responses. It does seem to be getting a little better. I haven't really had any pain with this, but I have had some occasional pressure and fullness in my ears. I'm not sure if it's related though.