Is this hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ilija, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Got Tinnitus a month ago, the Tinnitus has come down a lot it went from a ring to air sounds which is great.
      I think I might have hyperacusis, the sound my PC produces or the TV or squealing car brakes seem louder than usual.
      The doctors say It could just be stress, my brain being wired from all the stress revolving around noises so now if it picks up a noise that seems like the ones that bothered me so much it just turns it up and stuff.
      It could be the BTA theory about hearing loss not being measurable but being there on a psychological level or something like that but I doubt that.
      I don't know what to think, Is there a test I can do for hyperacusis?
      Also I get ear pain and fullness from time to time, it mostly happens when I am listening to the Tinnitus a lot.
      That's about it what do you guys think? hyperacusis,misophonia, or just general brain stress and anxiety from sounds that resemble the sound that made it scared.
      Also sound that didn't used to be there are now there ie increased hearing or some stuff.
      Like I can hear in higher frequency now my power supply making a weird air noise when not running, stuff like that the vacuum cleaner noise I can hear it louder than before and stuff.
      I don't know if I have hyperacusis or I'm just stressed and noises like Tinnitus are turned up by my brain.
      I'm starting to repeat myself now so I'll stop, if you have any idea of what it is please reply.
      Thank you.

2. jonathanvg
      No Mood

jonathanvg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      you can do a LDL (loudness discomfort levels) test with a audioloog you might have increased sensitive to sound but if you have hyperacusis you will know it trust me
      hope this help you out

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't think I have hyperacusis because it never HURTS my ears it just bothers me on an emotional level.
      I found out I have a slow neck gland which is responsible for pumping blood (have that issue), beard growth (oh do I ever) getting fat while not eating a lot (yep indeed) being depressed for no good reason bad hormones (indeed I do) and get this sound sensitivity as well.
      I figure the stress I got from the first few weeks made it even worse so now I'm sensitive to sound, I am also pretty sure I have a big lack of magnesium,zinc,b6,b12 all that which can also cause a sensitivity to sound, low magnesium can also make the body take more time to heal as it is in everything even the little nerves in our ears, lack of magnesium has even been known to cause Tinnitus on it's own (I know that's not the case mine is from the concert) but the lack of magnesium might be making the recovery slower and stuff.
      Lack of magnesium also causes severe anxiety and stress which I have.
      I'll see a good doctor who diagnosed and worked on my right ear when my eardrum was fudged up as a baby.
      I'll get all the tests, get my magnesium zinc and all that and fix my neck gland,after that I'm sure the Tinnitus will go even lower and faster.
      Who knows maybe it'll go away completely.
      But anyway I find this a blessing and a curse because now I will make sure to take care of my body and not be such a sweaty heavy metal fan who just destroys his body in the process.

4. jonathanvg
      No Mood

jonathanvg Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Do your ears flutter on sounds ?
      You might have ttts tonic tensor tympani syndrome
      This syndrome worsen with stress and axienty and lack of magnesium
      Dont worry about it my trt audioloog says It's a innocent thing that might go away on itsself when you recover overtime
      Goodluck mate

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flutter on sounds? I don't think so.
      As I understand TTTS means involuntary muscle jerks when hearing certain sounds, I haven't had that ever.
      Something happened yesterday, the Tinnitus is down even more today I used to hear it when I put my head on a pillow but now nothing SWEET SILENCE, well not silence but I'm so used to the air Tinnitus I consider it a silence sound (I always had those just quieter).
      Also the the sound my PC produces still makes my ear ring but as soon as I stopped focusing and stressing about it, it lowered a lot to the point where I'm not bothered by it.
      I'll be going to the docs and sort out all the lacks of stuff and the neck gland.
      I must say due to the Tinnitus lowering again I am quite confident that it just might go away completely with time.
      Still got a couple of months till it's considered permanently.
      I think it's just general stress making my brain wired, went to a friends house, I could hear his PC for like 4 hours and it never became a ring so I'm confident it's just a brain stress thing that'll sort itself out in time.

6. Mosaik
      Balanced

Mosaik Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music at my school
      I think you have hyperacusis. When you damage the hearing your dynamic range becomes less wide and thus hyperacisus will develop, meaning that you can't tell if a sound is medium loudness or very loud. I suggest protecting your ears if you feel discomfort. When I damaged my ears it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, I guess any pain that is caused by sound is more conscious decision than other kinds of pain. (Yes, pain never exists per se, the brain decides wether you need it or not.)