Is This Pulsatile Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Logan, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have had tinnitus for about 9 months now and just recently every so often my left ear will start making beating sounds and I will feel it too. It only happens every few days usually and it is almost always in my left ear. It sometimes will start if I yawn or do something similar. I have had a cold for like a week so maybe that is causing this to happen. Any information will be helpful!

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Logan,

It could be PT, but it's more likely to be tensor tympani syndrome, which may be experienced by people with tinnitus. It's a muscle spasm in the inner ear.

I've attached a link to an article about tensor tympani syndrome:
      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23571302

You might want to Google tensor tympani syndrome, for more information.

The tensor tympani is a muscle in the ear, and it can go into spasms sometimes, causing the symptom that feels like a flutter, or a heartbeat. I'm not a doctor, but I think it's possible that it could be aggravated by the fact that you have a cold.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you for the information! I have had the beating sound before not to long ago but it was not to frequent, so I am guessing it is because of my cold like you said.

4. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I agree. I think if you had pulsatile tinnitus, you'd know it! My PT is constant, and I can time it to my heartbeat. Yours appears to be sporadic.

Please do report back after your cold subsides, to let me know if it's gone.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Logan
      Stressed

Logan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      @Karen I figured I would reply to this with a update, I beating has improved a lot. It only happens every few days and it is usually just one beat and that's it, before it would just beat for 30 minutes to an hour. But it seems to be better as of right now.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @Logan,

Thanks for the update! It sounds like you're doing a lot better, and it doesn't sound like PT to me. It sounds more like you might have had a muscle spasm (perhaps tensor tympani syndrome) during your cold, that may have caused the pulsating sound.

Glad to hear you're doing better!!