Is this strange?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by ZeroRelief, Sep 6, 2013.

1. ZeroRelief

ZeroRelief Member

Tinnitus Since:
      About 4 months
      Hello everyone.

Jumping right in.

So, about 4 months ago I started hearing this high pitched tone in my ears. I didn't think much of it because I live in an apartment building; it is a normal occurrence for me to hear a tone like this when an older television is near. As early as I can remember, I would hear a really high pitched tone from older tv's, some much louder than others; some would be so loud it was almost painful. When I left the area the tv was at, the sound would go away. This tone I hear is not going away.

Here's where it gets strange. After about two weeks I mentioned the tone to my mom (we live together). She told me that she hears a tone too. The tone I hear is one of the higher frequencies, and can be replicated with a hearing test app. I played the tone I hear for her, and she couldn't hear anything (lucky her). She played a sound that was more like the one she hears, and it was very different. The tone she hears is more like a old motor boat from far away.

I scoured Google, and could not find a situation where two people got it around the same time. I did find this site, so I figured I would ask you.

Sorry for the long post.

Thank you in advance.

:)

2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      "After about two weeks I mentioned the tone to my mom (we live together). She told me that she hears a tone too."

Did you ask your mom whether she started hearing the tone right then when you mentioned you hear one? Is it possible your mom has had it longer, but only mentioned about it to you after you had mentioned about yours?

Well, even if she did start to hear it about the same time as you, it is likely just a coincidence. Nothing to worry about I don't think.

Welcome :)

• Like Like x 1