Is This Tinnitus? It's Driving Me Nuts! Also Maybe Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PCSTinnitus, Aug 6, 2015.

1. PCSTinnitus

PCSTinnitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2015
      So I'm pretty sure I know the answer here but I was wondering if anybody has had similar symptoms to me.

To start off here's some background as to why I think it's gotten bad recently and the overlying cause.

Also for some reason during a two week period in high school I also got "ear" ringing, but not really since recently.

In January I was hit by a car which was the worst thing that ever happened to me. I ended up with a concussion and post-concussion syndrome among other things... Probably as a stress induced reaction I also took up e-cigs maybe a month later; containing propylene-glycol, a known ototoxic agent.. I've since quit those stupid things for a little over a week. Could both of these things have caused and aggravated potential tinnitus?

Post-concussion I started getting a continuous high pitched ring in both ears, which was worse in a quiet settings. Since I quit e-cigs I've also noticed two other things: First when hearing I also seem to pick up a faint cricket, or chirping noise alongside the usual high pitched ring. I seem to pick up that cricket sound in the presence of white noise also. Second I've become even more sensitive to sound (nearly as bad as the first few weeks after my concussion, which was bad).

Are these symptoms typical of tinnitus, and can they be caused by those two things?

2. Cheza
      Wishful

Cheza Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barking dogs/stress
      Yes, you can get tinnitus following a concussion. There is quite a bit of info about that on this forum. Here's the link to threads and posts: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/search/1025984/?q=concussion&o=relevance&c[node]=2

It's also not unusual to start with one noise and then a new noise joins in, or the type of noise changes. Hyperacusis also develops in a lot of people with tinnitus.

There's a search function on this forum that will help you find the information you need. You're not alone with your symptoms.

3. Mad maggot
      Breezy

Mad maggot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      And other people here have T caused by e cigarettes so you have two possible causes or perhaps you got it from the crash and then mad it worse by the cigarettes. Hope it improves.

4. Asian

Asian Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4 weeks
      I got tinnitus after a really bad concussion. How long after the concussion did your T start ?