Is This "True" Pulsatile Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by StubbyJ, Jul 6, 2018.

1. StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Greetings!

Is this actual pulsatile tinnitus?

I've had bilateral, multi-tonal tinnitus for about 3 years now with very intermittent pulsatile tinnitus like symptoms.

I also have somatic tinnitus, but I only hear it walking (left leg forward) and and turning my head and opening my jaw to extremes. I can't manipulate my "base" tinnitus sounds in any way somatically; this tinnitus is its own thing (static hiss). I can also engage this tinnitus when pushing on my head and face right side only, directly split down the middle. From what I understand my hiss/somatic tinnitus comes from nerves/receptors in the face overcompensating for damaged auditory nerves.

My pulsatile tinnitus is on the right and in no doubt in concert with my heart beat. It's intermittent, or at least the volume fluctuates from not at all/barely noticeable to almost as intrusive as my base tinnitus. When very active it can be as temperamental as 30 seconds on, 2 minutes off...all over the map.

Is my pulsatile tinnitus actual pulsatile tinnitus or rather my heartbeat/blood flow "engaging" my somatic tinnitus when traveling through over excited facial nerves as when I touch my face? Does this make sense? The sound feels and appears to be coming from the inner ear area. Much more pronounced when sitting opposed to standing or laying down.

I ask as I wonder if I have something else going on I should be investigating or simply the result of the aforementioned.

The last time I had a pulsatile tinnitus episode was about 8 months ago and it came back now more pronounced two days after using a router for only about 3, 20 second intervals, or at least I think this was the cause. I was using musicians plugs (full dB cut) and muffs. I've never had any issues with power tools during the last two years whilst remodeling my house. My fear is I damaged my auditory system further causing the pulsatile tinnitus to come back. But at the same time I know it wasn't that loud especially considering the hearing protection and duration. What do I know?

Thanks so much!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      You probably have both pusatile and auditory brain tinnitus which share absolutely nothing in common.
      Pusatile tinnitus is a vascular problem, the other tinnitus is an auditory problem in the brain usually caused by hearing loss.

Sorry about that

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Oh, I know I have "typical" noise induced T. Just wondering about the cause of the PT....vascular or normal blood flow passing by damaged nerves making nerves the cause opposed to blood flow/typical PT.

4. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      The whole tinnitus community and especially I would be happy if you could tell us something about a typical!! noise-induced tinnitus.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      Take a few deep breaths and please reread said post paying attention to the parenthesis surrounding typical. I'm in the same boat you are.

6. Tinniger

Tinniger Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Uncertain, now very somatic, started with noise?
      I didn't mean it badly:), but somehow many (including me) are looking for what is a "typical" tinnintus.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      StubbyJ

StubbyJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Noise Exposure
      You're being passive aggressive as you were offended by my use of "typical." Just own it. My response was intended for Contrast's use of "auditory brain tinnitus" in differentiating from PT and acknowledging that I have T. Why don't you ask him to summarize "auditory brain tinnitus." The (") were used to imply that there is no such thing as a typical or regular T as it torments everyone differently. Again, used only in contrast from PT to T. Comments like yours have no added value for people looking for answers. The only person you're serving is yourself in attacking others for comments which happen to bother you. You should have just moved on.