Is Tinnitus More Likely to Go Away If There Isn't Any Hearing Loss?

Discussion in 'Support' started by PureNoise, Jun 19, 2019.

1. PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I recently got tested up to 20 kHz and I had zero hearing loss. And same thing on 2 other 8 kHz tests.

Do people with zero hearing loss have a good chance of tinnitus going away or significantly fading even 5-6 months after onset?

Is tinnitus also less loud for those without hearing loss? I'm pretty sure the less hearing you have the more you'll hear tinnitus instead of outside sounds in the full range of hearing.

2. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      Hearing tests are meaningless.

You could still have hidden hearing loss.

@Contrast knows all about it!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, the audiologist did say that in the higher frequencies there is no standard population to compare to. It's very uncommon for them to do 20 kHz tests. My tinnitus was estimated to be 14 kHz. Wish it was just soft white noise soothing tinnitus of course. It sounded like that at one point.

But with the testing we got, I have no hearing loss even on an extended test. That's gotta mean something or I hope it means I can have a better outcome.

4. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I think tinnitus becomes less noticable for many as time goes on whether there is hearing loss or not. Certainly the less hearing loss you have at your tinnitus pitch the better. I have severe tinnitus on my left side and it certainly has become less noticable for me at times. This is despite the fact that my hearing loss and tinnitus is at the same pitch.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Did you have your tinnitus loudness measured? I hope these bimodal stimulation treatments really work.

6. johnsole65
      No Mood

johnsole65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      There are a great ton of cases where there is no (long term) hearing loss associated with the tinnitus.

I for one had hearing loss that I thought was permanent to then have my hearing come back FULLY, as in I can hear very well out of both ears when for days/weeks had had muffled high frequencies in ears.

I guess it depends on what is happening. For me I have a significant popping noise in one ear. Maybe it's nerve damage that heals again, who knows.

All I know is that there is hope.

7. johnsole65
      No Mood

johnsole65 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hearing tests are not meaningless, but I agree they are limited.

Also telling someone there might be hidden hearing loss without evidence is irresponsible. If someone told me that with the condition I have (OCD) that would cause me a lot of anxiety.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. bellecooper77
      Bookworm

bellecooper77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello! I am in the same boat - my ENT said that I have no hearing loss whatsoever and that my hearing is actually better than normal. I have been told that since I don't have hearing loss that my tinnitus should get better. It has never been really bad - a lot quieter than what some people on here have described. My tinnitus has never gone over a 3/10, and it is often masked by the things going on around me.
      Hope this helps! :)

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      3/10 sounds like heaven. Mine was severe from a medication but now I'd say it's moderate. In quiet rooms it's loud and piercing. Some sounds make it louder. I'm still on a medication that can cause tinnitus so I hope mine quiets down when I'm off of it.

Like at home in a quiet room is yours decently loud and if you turn on some music low volume or tv right away you don't hear it? I rarely hear mine outdoors ever or in restaurants. But I'd still say mine is louder than 3/10.

• Genius Genius x 1
    10. Michael B
      No Mood

Michael B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      '11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      It was some time ago but it was measured at 85 dB.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      PureNoise

PureNoise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow that's loud. Do you have significant hearing loss? I was told the more the hearing loss the louder the tinnitus.

I hope mine settles into a mild case. If all this fading stuff is true 29 dB can turn into 20 dB which would be hardly heard.

12. bellecooper77
      Bookworm

bellecooper77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I would say that in quiet rooms it tends to seem louder than it actually is. I try to find a sound in a room to listen to distract myself from the hissing. And yes, if I have a TV on and my ears arent pressed against a pillow, I tend not to hear it unless I am looking for it. Same with music, although I never listen to music with earbuds or headphones anymore, for the fear of making it worse. But, in the beginning, days of having tinnitus, I would continue to listen to it through my earbuds, and the noise would disappear, only to come back again when I stopped the music as if to confiscate for not bothering me for the time being. I go for runs every day and when im out running, all I can hear is the wind going past me and the sound of my feet on the pavement. I was at the beach earlier this week and unless I covered my hears or pressed it against my towel, I didnt hear it.
      Usually, if there is any other sound in the room I dont hear it unless I look for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      I’ve had muffled hearing for 2 months and sometimes it fluctuates in volume is there any chance this will resolve? I’ve had trouble understanding people because of how muffled it is. :(

14. Don Tinny

Don Tinny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2017 (worsening)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert with ear plugs
      It can fade to a mild level (not always, sorry) but it maybe takes longer than 6 months. . A Chinese study suggests that it can occur within the first 5 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

How do you measure this?