Is Your Tinnitus Quieter First Thing in the Morning?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Karl, Jul 2, 2012.

1. radar

radar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2011

More conjecture but my posture is not wonderful either, along with a pinched nerve in my shoulder which comes and goes. (yes I’m a wreck!)

As you rightly say though, you can go nuts trying to second-guess the cause. Keep calm and carry on seems appropriate.

2. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

Hi radar - You're right. I often think that analysing what affects it is one of the worse aspects of T. It makes you focus on it but you need to do it because foods really do affect it (well they do mine anyway). I never thought that just saying a phrase would help me.. but 'Keep calm & carry on' does... it reminds me just to keep working... whether the T is screaming or not. I feel like just hiding under a duvet at times - but that's no good because it makes the T louder. Round and round in circles :) Have you tried a shiatsu massage for your pinched nerve? I doubt that it will cure the T but it does apparently help with squashed nerves etc.

3. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Today, I had a solid 15 minutes of no noise, nada, zero-- I mean no noise. It was gone and this has never happened before. I actually plugged my ears and heard silence. It was so strange not to hear the noise I had been hearing every day for 11 months straight. Unfortunately, it slowly returned, though it is much lower than it was yesterday. Gets me thinking once again, if my brain can make the noise low or even gone for a period, there must be a way that it can do this all the time.....

• Like Like x 4
    4. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Outstanding! Glad to hear when anyone gets even the smallest amount of relief.

I have had a few very short episodes of zero ringing (maybe a minute or 2 at most), too. I've done the same thing of plugging my ears and hearing no T, and thinking "Ahh - silence is golden!". About the time I start thinking "maybe it will last a little longer this time", the silence is gone. As fleeting as it is, it's a very welcome respite, and well worth waking up for. In my case these instances have all been when I wake up in the middle of night. I've attributed it to the auditory part of my brain taking a nap, or maybe dreaming changing the chemistry of my brain for a while. Once I'm fully awake, the T comes back. Of couse, one of my health problems is that my heart stops beating for several seconds when I fall into a deep sleep, and maybe that causes the T to subside. It seems to me that these no T episodes occur when I wake up from a deep sleep. Don't know the real cause, but I'm okay with trading a few heart beats for some golden silence any day.

5. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure

This is excellent - someone else experiencing what I have Erik...

This is what has happened to me so many times. I have only had one day when the morning buzz wasn't there but I've had minutes and hours of no noise at all. Not there. However hard I listen - not there. I plug my ears - I go to a totally silent room - nothing.

I still listen for my T almost constantly and, like you, can also forget about it at times when I'm busy... but at those times I still know it's there... it may be very low but all I have to do is listen.. and there it is.

When it goes away completely it's different.

It is also why I have spent so many hours trying to figure out why it fluctuates. If it can go - completely - then perhaps something is triggering its very existence. All my tests with food do give me more reason to believe this. It's so hard to pin point the triggers though. Tea, certain types of coffee, potassium nitrate, sodium nitrate, msg, citrates, oranges - all of these make it louder to different degrees. And when my T is very, very low... even a tiny quantity can bring it up a level. So I am convinced that I am consuming something (possibly something pretty innocuous) that is 'feeding' the T and keeping it going....

Now you're obligated to help me in the search :p cos you've been where I've been.

ps. tomorrow you may believe that you imagined it... this happened to me at first... perhaps I wasn't listening hard enough etc etc. Especially when it screeches - I have a hard time believing that there have been hours when it wasn't there at all but it's happened so often now that I know it's real.

And we're also both at the 11 month point (12 months for me on 5th April).

6. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Are you inside a block of ice Mick?

7. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Hey Click, I had done so much "food" experimenting that I finally just gave up a few months back. I do drink tons of caffeine free green tea, rooibos tea, and have a few real "drinks" now and then on the weekends but other than that I stick to a pretty strict diet of low fat, low sodium, as raw food as possible, no artificial sweeteners, fillers etc. We have a large garden where we grow our own veggies and between June and Oct, we pick fruits and veggies at a local organic farm, can and freezing part of it for winter time like now.

One other thing I have noticed is that my stress and anxiety have been extremely low lately and my sleep has been excellent so I am sure this factors into things a bit.

8. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I only eat organic fruit, veg and meat - no additives, no processed food - but some stuff slips through I think. Even pork and chicken over here have stuff added to them... can't be sure that the organic versions don't.

But I was reading about nitrates in the soil a while back & it was one of my suspects. Some foods absorb more than others from the soil. Spinach is high in nitrates for example. I don't think organic food can avoid the high nitrate content of soil.

This may be a UK thing though. Apparently, during WW2 the land was farmed so intensively that they didn't adhere to the rotation method that avoids soil becoming basically poisonous. And it still hasn't recovered.

I just feel that something I am consuming is doing it. I've even considered tap water.

As we vary what we eat and drink on a daily basis it does seem possible. Then there's the weather, the magnetism of the earth's core, the amount of radiation we're exposed to/EMFs etc - these also vary.

That's the only conclusion I have reached - that whatever is doing it varies from day to day.

I can't put mine down to stress and sleep because I've logged it and there is no correlation for me.

Please let me know if you get the silence again Erik.

9. mick

mick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Kind of looks that way doesn't it. Its just arbitrary photo distortion. I was indeed cold as ice - I was skiing. The wind from skiing masks T pretty good. Give it a try. Wish I could do it all day every day.

10. Lisa88

Lisa88 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      My t was always quiet or barely audible when I woke up each morning then would kick in as the day progressed. Now, since I took a trans Atlantic flight 3 weeks ago, it is loudest first thing when I wake up. WHY IS THIS?
      All my audios came back clear. Doctors think anesthetic 7 months ago effected my CNS/brain/Central Auditory Cortex directly.
      WHAT IS THE REASON FOR THIS CHANGE OF BEHAVIOR?!!!

11. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      Mine is also quieter in the morning when I wake up. I almost feel normal for a few minutes!

12. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      It's the best time of the day for me especially if I get a deep sleep. Mornings are quite by ends day it's screaming again.

Carlos

13. Gosia
      Balanced

Gosia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      earplugs/ hearing loss
      Same for me. On very rare occassions it will stay almost as quiet for the day, but in 95% of cases it will slowly develop till the whole head is buzzing.

14. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      If I have a good sleep, then when I wake, up at any time 3.30, 6.00. or any other time , often my T is low almost noticeable If I get up then it stays quiet all day long. If I try to get even an extra 5 minutes of sleep instead, it starts ringing again.The same happens when I take a five minute nap in the afternoon.Very peculiar situation.I wish i knew the answer.

15. Lex
      Blah

Lex Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad decisions
      Yes it is. It's always there but upon waking up in the morning, it's softer and fainter. Then it gets louder until it reaches its baseline volume around after 15 minutes.

16. slipware
      Bookworm

slipware Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not quieter in the mornings, it's always there loud and clear, just occasionally quieter. Migraines don't help.

17. Tony Phylactou

Tony Phylactou Member

Tinnitus Since:
      sept 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cement factory noise lowT,then stress high T
      The reason it is more quiet in the morning is that you have not been exposed to noise during the night while sleeping.

18. Ginadz
      Loved

Ginadz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      All the information is very helpful as I am new to this nightmare. Does seem like mine gets worse about 4 pm and is horrible when I try to sleep. Not sure what to do. I would appreciate any help or ideas to those who have experience.

Where can I find these and how do I upload them?
      • White noise/nature MP3 sounds made by Jim on this website. Download them for free.
      Thank you in advance!

19. PolishSoldier87
      Moonlighting

PolishSoldier87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acustic trauma, neuro-lyme/rx co-op toxins
      My T is sometimes gone for some minutes in morning when i dont stress about it before going sleep. I am 3 months after acustc trauma with high freqency hearing loss.