It Wasn't TMJ, It Was Just a Misaligned Jaw!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Isabella 123, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Estella

Estella Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2013
      Omg I am so happy that someone sent me the link to this page, I got T 4 weeks after I got braces put on I'm 19, my hearing is completely fine it just came out of the blue and has driven me crazy ever since! they took x rays of my jaw before I got braces and it was slightly crooked my jaws always been a little lop sided but it was never super noticeable and never gave me any trouble, I got six teeth pulled and I could see my jaw suddenly got super lop sided and now there was pain and clicking as well! they must have damaged the ligament or something when they took the teeth out. They took another X-ray and the side of my jaw that was sitting out of its socket before now was drastically lower. Its weird though, the right side of my jaw is the side thats out but I get T in my left ear??? Do you think that this might be fixed with a splint? I've been meaning to see someone to get my jaw sorted as aesthetically it really bugs me but if theres any chance that a splint might also fix my T I will get onto it a lot sooner!

2. Tomuk

Tomuk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Had T for 5 years is it too late for me to see if this is the problem?

3. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      Wouldn't one-sided T be more indicative of a jaw isssue? Or could your jaw be screwed up on both sides at the same time?

4. JohnK
      Busy

JohnK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/26/2015 (habituated) 5/13/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline (2015) Otimize ear drops [neomycin] (2019)
      Also when the ENT does a quick once-over of your jaw, I assume that isn't quite comprehensive?

5. Paromita
      Cool

Paromita Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, maybe dental and facial nerve
      Hello Isabella, I really hope you would talk to me.

I am having something very similiar but not sure who to goto. I do no have exact TMJ, but some very similiar issues.
      My jaws are inflammed (3 teeth on left were taken out), side of my tongue burns, I drool more on the left side, can feel my salivary gland producing more. Also when I open and close my jaw there is a clicking sound. Sometimes I bite my tongue by mistake using my left teeth. I also have weired tingling and numbness on my nose.I DO NOT HAVE PAIN.

My maxofacial surgeon wont say I have TMJ because I can open my mouth wide.

But everyday I feel inflammation in the side of my left jaws and burning tongue.....and the T gets higher when it happens like that.

CAN YOU PLEASE HELP, whom should I show this to and what kind of splint is required to correct this.
      I am very sure my T is due to this inflammation uin my jaws and some kind of shift in my bite.

Best Regards, Mita

6. Paromita
      Cool

Paromita Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure, maybe dental and facial nerve
      Hi Isabella,

Also can you tell me how much this splint cost ? I went to a TMJ therapy person and hes asking 2k for it...are they that costly ?

Best Regards, Mita

7. Joyce10

Joyce10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm unsure. TMJ? Illness? Medication? Noise?

Hello Isabella,

Seems to be awhile since you posted here, so I hope this message will find you. Was it an orthotic she was using to reposition? I feel like my situation is similar where my jaw is misaligned by 1mm with symptoms of TMJ. Though not painful, I do have tense shoulders and neck, I would grind my teeth, had some ear/jaw aches but all are tolerable. I rarely had headaches so am questioning whether I do have TMJ. My main complaint are my ears , which I have been experiencing since 2009, but never bothered me until it recently increased (not sure if it was due to being sick and medication) so I did start therapy with my neuromuscular dentist. I'm only a couple weeks in so unsure if it helping. I know it will take some time, but hoping this is really the cause of my tinnitus and I can find some relief. Did your daughter's T fluctuate or was it always the constant? I also live in the area and was wondering just in case if you can provide me with the doctor your daughter went to? I'm so glad everything worked out for your daughter. How are you doing?

Joyce

8. Akshara
      Worried

Akshara Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi @Isabella,

Can you please provide the details of the doctor?
      I have TMJ and suffering from tinnitus.

9. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      I'm going to a maxillofacial dentist soon. I had a lower front implant placed and my head and neck hurts. Also got a major T spike along with hyperacusis. My jaw is just sore. I also use a regular mouth guard. I read a lot about using a repositioning splint on the internet. Some were forums like this and others - medical articles. Great results for many. Good luck to those who have posted on this thread.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Does anyone know the avg time T goes away when u have T from a jaw misalignment?? I've had a repositioning split for 2+ months now... Does anyone know of stories where wearing the re-positioning splint cleared up T in time??

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    11. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Still have T, I've learned to live with it, I think the buzzing is below average based on the avg person with T. Had the repositioning splint for 4 months now. My question is should I go back to the dentist and have her maybe loosen the splint or play around with the tightness of the splint?? I don't know if I should do that or possible go T retraining therapy, or possibly start getting massages in the neck/jaw area?? Can the T just go away by letting the splint be in its current position?? When the splint was adjusted the T went right away, then the splint loosened and the T would pop back up 2 days later. Its almost like if I could find the perfect tightness of the splint the T would go away.... Also just wanted to add I have the T that sound makes it worse, if I'm sitting in a quiet room u can barely hear it.. Also about 2 weeks ago my T basically went away for 3-4 days, could this be a sign its getting better?

12. kmandude

kmandude Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unk
      Wow. So just new to this forum. Followed some stuff on the web about bruxism and tinnitus to here. Read in Post 2 in this thread about the jaw intruding in the ear. So I stuck my fingers in my ears and worked my jaw, and I feel the movement in the ears. Then, if I thrust my chin forward and work my jaw, I feel no moving with my fingertips in my ears. Could this be the cause? Twenty-some years of this noise, and maybe it can go away?! Used to have some TMJ problems, but not anymore. Definitely grind the teeth.
      Any thoughts, anyone? Thanks! k