It's Been 2 Months

Discussion in 'Support' started by Hotaru, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      I need to vent, sorry.

Honestly, what are the odds of it going away? It doesn't get better. I have T in the left ear now, too. It's lower than the right ear T, but it's not any less intrusive. I've tried Magnesium, B12, yoga, distractions, sleeping quietly, changing my diet, and soon I'll get screened for AM-101, but that's a 50-50 chance of getting the drug, and even then, not many people have had success. Not many people have success with anything. There are so many people on this forum, most have had T for many years, and there aren't enough success stories, and then some people who got rid of their T end up getting it back. I will never habituate. I've always been sensitive to sounds. I hear everything, and having a noise that only I can hear and can't turn off is a living hell.

I just don't get why there's no cure for something like this. I don't get why there's no cure for so many things (things I have that aren't curable: acne, anxiety, depression, interstitial cystitis). The medical industry is incredibly far behind. It's been 50 years since they actually cured something (by making vaccinations) It's disappointing. And all the money donated to cancer research and still no cure? Makes you wonder where that money goes. I'll tell you where it goes, towards treatments instead of cures and vaccines, because they make more money off it. It's so cruel. This world we live in.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    2. ceauses97
      Speechless

ceauses97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/12/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music/chemotherapy/hypercalcemia
      I guess it depends on the cause. 2 months is still early to tell if its permanent or not. I'm 9 weeks in, but since mine in noise-induced its probably something i have to deal with this the rest of my life. I'm still hoping each day it will be gone, but once the damage is not its no going back...

You should give it 2 more months and see if the tinnitus decreases in volum or subsides. Good luck

• Like Like x 1
    3. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      The best thing about your situation is that you have non-tinnitus related symptoms that seem to be tied to the tinnitus. If the Eustachian tubes are messed up, then there is a pretty high chance that solving that will solve the tinnitus.
      You could try taking an anti-inflammatory like MSM crystals. https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/crystalline-msm.13327/

• Like Like x 1
    4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      We've certainly had new medical breakthroughs since 1966; when I was a kid in the 80s "everyone gets chicken pox" was a mantra, for instance.

No one can tell you if your tinnitus will go away or not. I'm sorry, I wish that wasn't the case.

You are very, very early in this. Try to be patient.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      2 months is too early to tell. I have had tinnitus that was not noise induced for over 18 months. It still continues to improve, but it is incredibly slow. I even get extra noises that come and go for a while and good and bad days. In fact, I had a new noise that appeared in the evening yesterday in my left ear (my better ear), such that every time I yawned, I would have this pretty low frequency ring (probably around 500Hz, but I didn't bother to check what the exact frequency was - something I used to do). It was still present when I woke and yawned this morning, but it seems to have gone for now.

@Hotaru Do you still have symptoms of ETD? I ask, because despite the length of time involved, I still do. They are not as bad as they were, but ear popping and cracking and heavy nasal drainage still occur. The worse the blockage sensations, quantity of drainage and cracking are, the worse the tinnitus is.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      There is still cracking and popping, but the inflammation has gone down and the pain/pressure occurs less. But just as I was starting to feel better with the ETD (two weeks ago) I get T in the left ear. That makes no sense at all. I feel like the T is worse after ETD issues go away.

7. Samzen

Samzen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2012
      Here's something interesting, check it out. And hang in there you should be able to habituate after some more time. It takes different amount of time for different people but it can happen. Habituation just means your brain get used to the sound and it doesn't drive you crazy anymore. I know that sounds unlikely but it's happened to millions of people. It happened to me until my T got worse 5 months ago, now I'm having to habituate again but with a louder T.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/...just-the-start-for-neuromod-devices-1.2256123

8. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      I know my right Eustachian tube was almost 100% blocked at its worst - it probably started to open around 5 months ago, after perhaps 6 months of being severely blocked. I had bought an Otovent and could inflate the balloon and hold it inflated for more than 10 seconds and not a single ounce of air would travel into my right ear. It isn't totally blocked now, but it still is partially blocked and seems to be cyclic, partially blocking and unblocking seemingly randomly throughout the day - in truth, there probably is some form of link to my circadian rhythm or another autonomic process, but I have no idea what. Sometimes, it is pretty sealed, whilst at the other extreme it seems to stick open as well and I suffer from autophony and everyone around me says I suddenly sound adenoidy.

My sinuses also have some ongoing issue. I still have some form of inflammation, since as well as the ET issues, the entire right hand side of my sinuses completely seals off and I can't get any air through my right nostril. I know it is normal for the open side to switch throughout the day, but at times, when the right side seals off, it is enough that it actually causes discomfort in my sinuses and pain around my face - this also coincides with my tinnitus being significantly more pronounced.

@Samzen If I am honest, I don't think I am habituating in the least. The tinnitus comes and goes. It isn't like I notice it at times and not at others, it is that it is present at times and not at others. When gone, I can stand in a near silent room and I cannot hear it at all (for reference, I have access to an anechoic chamber and when "gone", the loudest thing is the sound of my own heartbeat). It is an ever changing sound, varying from nothing, through to crickets, chirping, sharp bips, a continual ring, also varying in pitch and this changes throughout the day. With more than 5 different sounds heard every day, this ever changing cycle makes habituation utterly impossible.