It's sad how you don't realize to appreciate silence until you get tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by katriina, Feb 6, 2014.

1. katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      It was just normal thing that when you went to the room where is no noise at all that there is completely silence. I really miss that feeling now... I'm under huge stress right now and I feel like crying because I miss silence so much :(

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. pef

pef Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/16/2013
      The feeling will return. There's been many a weekend afternoon I sat in silence, reading a book, or falling into a nap.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Aww it will be okay i say the same thing.. Even though mine isnt LOUD i still cant hear complete silence and it is annoying. But we will one day!!!! :)

4. Garden Ring
      Mellow

Garden Ring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Please don't be sad!
      Actually, in my experience, it is possible to hear "silence". Just after I wake up I hear nothing. The tinnitus sound is still there, but the brain just has not tuned in on it after my sleep. It's a strange feeling, but I consider it to be a silence of its kind. And I am confident you will be able to hear this silence after some time. Your brain will get used to tinnitus, it will know that "hey, this sound means nothing, it contains no useful information, so I might just as well disregard it" and this will be your new silence.
      Also, getting tinnitus gave me an important lesson. I spent many hours just like you, lamenting over this terrible loss, and asking myself, why didn't I appreciate silence when I had it. Then it occured to me: "I am a young, strong person. I have two eyes that see, I have four limbs that move, damn it, even my ears have almost perfect hearing! Maybe I should better spend my time appreciating THIS then?"
      Don't make the same mistake twice. You still have a lot of thing to appreciate.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    5. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Wow i thought i was the only one who wakes up and hears some silence.. Your right though.. Its as if our brains arent tuned into the noise yet!

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      katriina
      Frustrated

katriina Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      This is weird because my T seems to get louder when I go to bed and when I wake up but in my daytime it's sometimes ridiculously quiet. Why doesn't my brain realize that I enjoy silence much more than beeping sounds! :D

• Funny Funny x 1
    7. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      It's weird as I feel more troubled at this point by the new addition to my soundscape, than my silence.
      Remember to many including myself, silence can be loud and intrusive, with or without tinnitus. With tinnitus we're scared, without we have neutralized loud silence as a nonthreat, a mere bagground sound. The same will eventually go for both Katriina! Don't be scared :)

8. Raul
      Inspired

Raul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2008
      im a quiet person and love to be in those quiet places so i have always appreciate silence but after i got T life was a real struggle cause it's something against my nature completely but i had to change my lifestyle and by time i used to it :)

• Like Like x 1
    9. Amelia
      Daring

Amelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      I love this. And I desperately hope one day this will be me :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      This will be you one day! And even after that happens you will one day even experience real silence just like the rest of us :)

• Hug Hug x 2
    11. Penelope33
      Torn

Penelope33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 2013
      Just before I got t, I would actively listen to silence , as when I leaked spinal fluid I had a noise in my head, so when that resolved with the blood patch I was so relieved for silence . Then I got t just 3 weeks later. I don't think I will ever get used to the intrusive noise I have now. But amazing that some if you do!

12. meeruf
      Badass

meeruf Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Diving
      Silence is kind of an illusion anyway. It's never completely silent. Its always some sounds in the background. Its just that you don't focus on them. I'm at work now and the air-con is going on nonstop in the background, its much louder then my tinnitus. Nevertheless I never notice the air-con unless I actually think about the air-con.

Yeah, you can argue that: "Well, you can just go out of the room, and you don't hear the air-con anymore". Yeah, sure, but then there will be other sounds. If I go outside, there will be the wind, people, traffic etc. It's never silent. Unless you are deep down in a bunker, but how often are you deep down in a bunker?

The same thing will happen with your tinnitus after some time. You will get bored by it, and it will just be a sound that goes on in the background. Its just your ego that fucks around with you because it's out of your control.

I guess that 99% of your suffering is not about the tinnitus itself in this moment. But all your thoughts about it. Worrying about the future, missing the past, like: "will it be worse?", "will I go mad?", your opening post etc..

Just let it be. Don't judge it..

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1