I've Had Mild Tinnitus — For the Last Week It Has Been REALLY Bad, and My Ear Has Been in Pain

Discussion in 'Support' started by Danjfoley, Dec 3, 2019.

1. Danjfoley
      Disappointed

Danjfoley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      I've had tinnitus for a while (high pitched ear ringing). Long as I can remember. I got hearing aids after going to a doctor about the problem 3 years ago. Last week, Sunday night I the volume went to a 10. I couldn't sleep. I had to eventually take Nyquil. It came back after a few days, and for the last 3 days i can't sleep without Nyquil.

My ears hurt. They feel like they are pulsating. Loud and higher pitched noises make my ear hurt even more.

I saw my primary care doctor today who said nothing looked wrong with my ears they are not infected. He gave me a course of steroids to take. I took my first one today. I have an appointment with an ENT in 2 days.

I can clench my jaw and make it get louder. (I think this has always been the case)

I don't feel like this is normal. Anyone else have this happen? Thoughts? I don't want to walk away from an ENT appointment with them saying everything is fine. This can't be the new normal!

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danjfoley
      Disappointed

Danjfoley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      anyone? I'm seeing the ENT tomorrow. This is so bad, it's hurting my ears.. giving me a headache. This can't be right. I hope the ENT has something good to say. I don't know how I'm going to live with this.

3. Selah1281

Selah1281 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If noises are making your ears hurt it sounds like pain hyperacusis.

4. dan
      Chatty

dan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      So it's back to 10? Were you exposed to noise?
      Mind you, a 10 is unmaskable tinnitus that you hear loudly in any environment.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Danjfoley
      Disappointed

Danjfoley Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud volumes
      I looked that up and I don't think that is it. Yes when it's really bad loud sounds annoy me and sorta hurt, they aren't unbearable. And there are lots of examples like today: during the day it seemed to less loud. Early evening it was at a 10..sound of my daughters cell phone, car radio, singing were bothering me .. hurting.. (minor pain). Then I went out to eat with friends and while we're out it was loud enough at the restaurant that it drowned out ringing and I didn't notice it until we got back into the car.

I did notice that during tonight's really bad episode my jaw was hurting. But that has since passed and my ears are still ringing very loudly.