Jonathan Hazell Answers Questions about Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by erik, Jan 23, 2013.

1. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
    2. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      From the link:
      Revisit the Jastreboff model! The only thing that makes tinnitus ‘worse’ is your reaction to it, and that is based on a) what you think is happening (‘dreadfulising’) and b) your mood state which influences tinnitus through the model (look at the diagrams). Your reaction (AVERSIVE CONDITIONED RESPONSE) to tinnitus is what governs it, and the effect it has on you. This is what TRT reverses. Loudness is immaterial and indeed some of our worst affected patients had tinnitus they could hardly hear except in a very quiet room. Read the website, and the book, learn that tinnitus is a naturally occurring phenomenon in everyone, and only when phobias and dislike takes over do you get into trouble. There is NO physical change relating to tinnitus alone. Do the exercises on the web regularly and use sound enrichment 24/7 according to the instructions.

I don't buy it. He's telling us that the severity of the condition from hour to hour, day to day, is all based on our viewpoint at the time of occurance. Reaction, mood, phobia, bull____. That's the same as saying "just ignore it and it'll go away." Sounds like an opinion from an cash-incentivised pseudo-expert on the subject to me. "Read the book. No, BUY the book."

3. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Very sceptical!

Jastreboff has set the benchmark for T mechanism. His Neurophysiological Model is what the medical profession all endorse and give treatment (T Management) based on it! Its not been seriously challenged by the scientific community since he wrote it.

He's not a scammer :)

4. click
      Blah

click Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/04/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I've questioned some of what they say too (like - "you will have it forever"... they're ignoring the fact that people do sometimes get rid of it completely) but I think the Jastreboff methodology has had more success than any other to date.

Even though I decided not to go to London for their TRT I don't think that we can dismiss what is the only path to real relief out there right now. My reasoning was that it could stop me thinking positively - hearing people say that I will have it forever - and, not yet having succumbed to depression, I really don't want to experience something that could make me depressed!

They're definitely not in it for the money although I can understand your scepticism mguru.

5. Paul D
      Balanced

Paul D Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/01/2010
      Click & Louise,
      I surely don't mean to offend with my skepticism. But I have found altruistic motives increasingly rare in my travels the last years, even in the pursuit of medical advancement. When there's doubt, "follow the money." It certainly opens doors in discovering alterior motives. I'm not saying there isn't an underlying desire to contribute toward a humanitarian goal, but money, power, or prestige is often the driving force behind the curtain. Only those who have suffered, are suffering, or have someone close to them who has or is in such a dilema can normally be ascribed to such altruistic behavior. Synical? Yes. Pragmatic? I think so. In relation to tinnitus, I would be curious as to what your perspective will be after three to five years into it, finding yourself near in condition as you are now.
      Paul D

6. Louise

Louise Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      29/06/2012 worsened Jan 2017 & Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I know what you're saying but Jastreboff isnt out to make a fast buck out of peoples misery, he's an esteemed scientist!

Cant/wont think about 3-5 years ahead. I'm just clinging on getting through each day at the moment.