Just About to Get on a Plane...

Discussion in 'Support' started by Andunwoody, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Left ear Otosclerosis, right ear virus.
      Just about to get on a plane.....me and my buzzy/hummy/vibrating ears. 9+ hours from London to Miami. I got some quite severe H on my last long haul flight in August, so I'm feeling a little apprehensive but I'm sure it will be fine.

2. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      During your last flight, what happened? I'm about to take my first flight in a few weeks, never thought I will be afraid because of my ears. Mind telling me what happened and what you did?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Now in Miami bit tired, it's been a long day. No H on the plane hooray!! T doing it's usual thing but who cares I can see the Ocean from my room, the sun is shining, the sky
      is blue and the palm trees are waving in the breeze. Going on past experience I'm expecting my T to be worse in the morning but I put that down to the time difference and change in sleep pattern rather than the aircraft.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Andunwoody
      Fine

Andunwoody Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Hariz Nonis the T in my left ear is due to hearing loss. I've had it for about 7 years and had pretty much habituated. During that 7 years I flew long haul (8+ hours) at least once a year also several shorter flights. Sometimes the T would be slightly worse for a few hours but as often as not it made no difference. Earlier this year I had a middle ear virus, it lasted for three months and caused severe vertigo and I now have T in both ears, the severity fluctuates for no obvious reason. The problem I had in August was most probably as a result of the virus, I was still having balance problems then. The only extra precaution I take now is to use a nasal spray for a few day before the flight, to use airplane ear plugs for ascent and descent (but not during the flight) and to chew gum vigourously during ascent and descent as well. I have noise cancelling headphones but don't use them all the time. I am sure you will have a good flight, remember anxiety does nothing to help T, try and relax although I do know that is easier said than done.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown