Just Came Across This Site

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Cicadas 24/7, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Cicadas 24/7

Cicadas 24/7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud concert
      I have been dealing with ringing in my ears for the past 6 years and have never had anybody to commiserate with, as everybody I tell typically just says, "wow. that sucks". While yes, it does suck, it is nice to find a place where people truly understand.

The ringing in my ears started when my evil ex girlfriend insisted we go see this loud punk band play at a small bar. We were out for dinner and she ran into a friend who asked us to come out to this bar for music. I had always enjoyed going to see shows, so that really wasn't the problem. However, this was the loudest group I have ever heard. She and I were already on a downward trend, and when I told her it was too loud and I wanted to leave, she got very mad and said I was just being asocial. This really was not the case, as I love people and music. The loud music was simply causing pain in my ears. I was trying to make the relationship work and did not want her to be angry, so I stuck it out for a few more songs before insisting that we leave. She was absolutely pissed at me, even after I told her that my ears were hurting and ringing.

That was six years ago and my ears have not stopped ringing since that night. We have long since broken up but I will always have this reminder of that night. I wish that I had insisted on leaving sooner; perhaps I would have minimized the damage. Now, I am unable to tolerate loud music at all and have to use ear plugs any time I am near loud sounds. Even a truck passing me on the highway is too much and causes discomfort.

God, I miss silence. It is something that is hard to appreciate until it is taken away.

Sorry for the rant.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Cicadas 24/7

Cicadas 24/7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud concert
    3. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Cicadas,

I can relate to your story, and am so sorry that happened to you. My tinnitus started about 30 years ago, when my husband and I went to a club that was playing loud music. The only table left was near the speakers, and we were with another couple. So, even though my right ear began to hurt after awhile, I foolishly stuck it out. It was then that my tinnitus first began. Since then, I had habituated to it, and it wasn't bothersome --- until five years ago, when I took an ototoxic drug.

Please, Cicadas, protect your ears from any further damage whenever possible. Buy some musician-grade earplugs, and use them whenever you are exposed to a noisy situation. Also, you can protect your ears from further damage by taking a supplement called N-Acetylcistene. Or at least that's what I've been told. I've been taking this supplement for months now, and I believe it has helped my tinnitus to be a bit calmer.

We're glad you've joined us, and hope you'll look around the forum and read some of the stories from other people, particularly the Success Stories and the Positivity Thread.

Best wishes,
      Karen