Just Got Back from LEVO Consult and Misc Notes

Discussion in 'Support' started by dayma, Jul 26, 2018.

1. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      Hello all. I just got back from my first LEVO consult with one of my Audiologists. I thought he mad some interesting comments when talking to him.

- He lurks on this forum and other groups to see what people are talking about. He told me there are multiple other audiologists that he personally knows that does the same thing.
      - They don't do OAE tests over 8k, not because they don't want to, but because the ability to do so is a $5000 add on to most equipment. I had 3 audiologists in huge systems and nobody ever did over 8K.
      - He said the LEVO management application(s) really does the best job matching frequencies over 10K.
      - Online applications in reality do a good job narrowing down your frequency.
      - He was highly disappointed that my original ENT and Audiologist were really kinda in the "live with it" perspective. This is coming from one of the largest hospital systems in the states.
      - He warned me that , with anything, experiences with doctors are going to vary wildly and if the person is having a bad day. AKA don't judge them all by one or two bad experiences.
      - His practice rarely gets unilateral Tinnitus. I would be the first in a long time.
      - Most if not all the patients for Tinnitus he gets are 12k frequency and higher.
      - He said that audiologist tests can vary a decent amount between visits (months)
      - LEVO costs around $3,500 and $750 in practice services and appointments.
      - He has 8-9 active patients using LEVO. All have had some type of positive results.
      - He was pretty open in talking about his concerns with LEVO and the discussions he has been having with Audiologists in England (socialized health care eliminates some of the $$ concerns of LEVO). He has been concerned with the small amount of people in the studies pro/con LEVO. Some people have habituated completely which totally shocked him personally and has not seen that in his practice yet.
      - There is little evidence that the upper ranges (12k+) on LEVO are reacting differently from <12k.

Just some notes I thought others may like to read. Maybe you all know all this but it was informative for me. Let me know if you want any clarification.

* please don't turn this into an anti/pro LEVO post. I don't mean it for that :)

Thanks!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Thanks for the information @dayma. Why don't those audiologists who read this forum contribute? It would be nice if they would.

At the least - I suppose - they are getting an understanding of our different situations with tinnitus.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      They don’t want to be held liable I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006
      Hey, @dayma, did you ever happen to try LEVO out? If so, please tell us what happened. :)